Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11, 2008, 12:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Opinions For a Card for my Wifes System.

Although my computer is hand built, the same cannot be said for my Wifes.
My fault really, at the time I didn't have the finances to Get something better, so we made do with a damn good deal From Dell.

She has,

Dell Inspiron 530 with Dual Core 1.8Mhz Processor.
3Gigs Samsung PC5400 Ram.
+ all the other Junk Dell threw in this thing.
It has one Open PCI-E slot (non 2.0 obviously)
I think the PS is only rated for 350-450w.

I need to find a Decent, non-top of the Line Video for her (she misses playing WoW with me).
I've seen a few, but Again, I am an ATI person, and I like now that I have a place to go and get a second Opinion.
So far , I have been confident in a lot of the advice I was given here, and I feel better for it.
So, once again I am asking for some help.

Thanks in advance,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 11, 2008, 12:20 PM
MVP

u could give your wife your video card and get a 4850 4 yourself

what i do is read reviews figure out what i want 2 buy then wiate 4 a sale
Old December 11, 2008, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The wife always gets the "hand-me-downs".....of course you jazz it up by telling her how great the part is she is getting "wayyy better than what you have now".....this justifies your upgrade ;)

Old December 11, 2008, 12:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

LOL, yeah except for the part where she picked this computer out.
She's had it since the 1.8ghz was the newest chip on the block.
She used to use my Dell Precision Workstation for it, but that Tanked not too long ago.
So now, I'm stuck trying to find parts for this POS.
:)
I could probably get my card in there. But my board won't support the 4850 because its Express 2.0.

:(

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old December 11, 2008, 12:49 PM
MVP

hmm but my mb is pci e1 ver and my 4870 works great 4 me [do a gogggle search or your mb and see if any1 else has it working]
Old December 11, 2008, 12:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightest View Post
hmm but my mb is pci e1 ver and my 4870 works great 4 me [do a gogggle search or your mb and see if any1 else has it working]

Thanks Hightest, I'll do that! Wouldn't be the first time What I thought was right turned out to be wrong.

ST

Old December 11, 2008, 02:39 PM
Top Prospect

You can definitely run PCI-E 2.0 cards in PCI-E 1.0 slots...

PCI-E is backwards compatible after all, worst case scenario is that it'll clock down abit as the bandwidth on the PCI-E bus isn't high enough to handle it, but you shouldnt notice any major performance decreases unless you're running at a really high res...
Old December 12, 2008, 05:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well I trust that everyone here has more experience with this than myself.
I never knew it to be backwards compatiable. So, I'll start shopping around for a 4850 and give it a whirl!

Thanks for the advice!

ST

Old December 12, 2008, 05:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

So, are you gonna still buy for the Mrs. or try the switcharoo? If you're buying for
her...i would suggest you consider the 4830. You'll save $40+ and they aren't much slower than a 4850.

Here's a nice example
Old December 12, 2008, 05:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'll probably switch it out and put the 4850 in my system. On the sole fact that I know I have PCI-E power Connectors and not quite sure if her's has them or not.
My HIS doesn't need a Power Connector from the PS so it'd be a safer bet to put my 2600 in that system.

Nice link though, thats a cool looking card. I've never used an ATI from Asus yet.

ST