Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9, 2008, 05:51 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracture View Post
That's some pretty messed up math then. About 67-70 cents on the dollar makes the exchange rate work out.
Yes and no actually. You can't forget that for retailers, not only the price of the product increases. The weak dollar also means things like transport, processing and and storage are also costing them more.
Old December 9, 2008, 03:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

CHOOSE ANY VENDOR EXCEPT DIAMOND. Oh God THE HORROR!
Old December 9, 2008, 07:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
CHOOSE ANY VENDOR EXCEPT DIAMOND. Oh God THE HORROR!

P5N32-SLI Premium | E6600 @ 3.0 GHz | OCZ Platinum DDR2-800 Rev. 1 @ 4-5-4-12 | Diamond Radeon HD4850 | SB X-Fi Fatal1ty | WD Raptor 150GB | WD Caviar 500GB | LG GSA-H62N | 226BW <-------- I'm assuming the Diamond is just a Typo, you really ment HIS right?

Seriously though, Are they bad? Or just a case like some OCZ P/S that the majority of them are good but some have problems?

Thanks,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 9, 2008, 07:41 PM
Top Prospect

OMG diamond, yeah don't even bother, buy a hot peice of fresh dog shit and fashionit into a Vid card before buying them. Worst mistake I ever made. Good ole sapphire BIOS though and fixed my old HD3870 issue that Diamond wouldnt acknowledge.....or even that they sell cards even.

Support? they do not understand that word.

Visiontek is one of the better ATI vendors, they actually release BIOS fixes.

Corsair 600T White
Asus RoG Maximus V Gene
Intel i7-2600K w/Corsair H100
16GB Gskill DDR3 2400MHz
AMD R9 290X
OCZ Revo 3 240GB
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
WD Velocirapter 600GB
LG DVD burner
LG Bluray Burner
Windows 7x64 Prem
Asus VE24/VE27/VE24
Logitech Z-5450 5.1 speakers
Corsair AX850 Gold PSU
Corsair K90 Keyboard
Old December 9, 2008, 10:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If I am remembering correctly, when I was doing the research for my 4870 purchase, the general consensus was that Visiontek had the best warranty overall, as it is lifetime (I think). I also remember reading the HIS warranty (first year) is done through NCIX. On the negative side I remember reading bad posts about Diamond and Sapphire, as far as their customer service/RMA process. This is all off the top of my head though, so it could be bunk.
Old December 10, 2008, 05:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Fair enough, I've only ever used HIS for my ATI solutions.
I know two people who have Diamonds that haven't given them problems but again 2 cases good out of how many bad right.
Thanks for the heads up, I would never have known.
Next Card Upgrade I get will probably be HIS again, as they were good when my one 2600XT decided to spin its fan and stop working.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old December 10, 2008, 10:26 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I got my Diamond (hehe) 4870 1GB for 315 CAD at DirectCanada almost 2 months ago.
Stock cooling, 74 idle, 86 load.
Intel i7-3770
Kingstone HyperX 2 x 8GB
Crucial M4 256GB + 128 GB
Sapphire Radeon HD7970
Nec Multisync LCD2690WUXI
Old December 10, 2008, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
P5N32-SLI Premium | E6600 @ 3.0 GHz | OCZ Platinum DDR2-800 Rev. 1 @ 4-5-4-12 | Diamond Radeon HD4850 | SB X-Fi Fatal1ty | WD Raptor 150GB | WD Caviar 500GB | LG GSA-H62N | 226BW <-------- I'm assuming the Diamond is just a Typo, you really ment HIS right?

Seriously though, Are they bad? Or just a case like some OCZ P/S that the majority of them are good but some have problems?

Thanks,
ST
Not hat's not a typo. I didn't know what I was getting myself into until it was too late. I even checked their website and it feels so empty. Checking out the Technical Support side, I see that it's always closed, or on for maybe an hour a day. My card runs super hot too. I actually pulled the sticker of a skeleton face off of my card because it was getting so hot that it was rippling, and what I found was that there was the original sticker from the ATI cards. They didn't even bother to take off the old sticker! Last time I'll deal with them...
Old December 10, 2008, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I got my Diamond (hehe) 4870 1GB for 315 CAD at DirectCanada almost 2 months ago.
Stock cooling, 74 idle, 86 load.
WOW....thats IS toasty...I thought the GTX280's were warm ....what kind of Fan Speed is that with and is that common for these GPU's or is it a case of poor Cooling within your Case?
My GTX 280 runs 38c Idle (with Auto "underclocking when in 2D mode) and 70c under full load wit Fan @ 80%...(a little loud with 80%, but I can live with it).
Curious though as I have pondered the thought of perhaps one day trying out the ATI line of GPU's.

Old December 10, 2008, 12:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Not hat's not a typo. I didn't know what I was getting myself into until it was too late. I even checked their website and it feels so empty. Checking out the Technical Support side, I see that it's always closed, or on for maybe an hour a day. My card runs super hot too. I actually pulled the sticker of a skeleton face off of my card because it was getting so hot that it was rippling, and what I found was that there was the original sticker from the ATI cards. They didn't even bother to take off the old sticker! Last time I'll deal with them...

Oh I know it wasn't, had to poke a little fun there. I am one of the few not running the High end ATI Card here lol! I'm happy that ATI Overdrive has it clocking in high and yet staying at a respectable 51 Degrees. I'll keep that in mind when I look to put a Express 2.0 compatiable MB in this rig one day. I might, for the first time in my life, try out a Nvidia Card!
Either that, or I wait till I can afford a Pair of 3000 series and X-fire them.
Thanks for the heads up though, would never have known.

ST