Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2008, 06:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
This is a VERY good point and I am glad you brought it up. The reason for the recommendation is that the test I run for power consumption is VERY GPU intensive while the CPU is pretty much left at idle. As a matter of fact, if I look at the CPU useage log after the test, the CPU never goes above 5% on any of the cores. I do this so the CPU does not affect the overall power consumption figures and we can see a clearer picture of which GPU requires the most power.

I have also been thinking of adding a "worst case" scenario consumption test much like I did in the PSU reviews. Bacially running the Batch Size Test on the GPU while running OCCT in the background on the CPU. This would give a clearer indication of the power consumption in a GPU-intensive game that uses the CPU for physics calculations.

A good example of this would be in Crysis Warhead where I have routinely seen power consumption above 575W from the wall using the EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked card.

They will be back but I am presently building the new PSU and GPU test system which will center around an X58 / i7 combo. The first PSU tested on it should be a little surprise from Corsair.

I'd definately want a good 750W if there was a possibility for that kind of draw... I get nervous whenever real power draw gets over 60 - 70% for extended periods of time.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 18, 2008, 06:13 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post

I'd definately want a good 750W if there was a possibility for that kind of draw... I get nervous whenever real power draw gets over 60 - 70% for extended periods of time.
Well, 575W from the wall equals about 460W draw from the PSU itself based off of an approximate 80% efficiency with the HX1000.
Old November 18, 2008, 06:36 AM
MVP

I'm running a Q6600 at 3.8 GHz and a EVGA GTX 260 core 216 with the shaders overclocked to 1512 MHz, all on a Corsair VX550W without problems (and folding hard on both the cpu and gpu sides).

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old November 18, 2008, 06:48 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
I have also been thinking of adding a "worst case" scenario consumption test much like I did in the PSU reviews. Bacially running the Batch Size Test on the GPU while running OCCT in the background on the CPU. This would give a clearer indication of the power consumption in a GPU-intensive game that uses the CPU for physics calculations.
Yes, yes, I think that's a very good idea.

Quote:
The first PSU tested on it should be a little surprise from Corsair.
HX450 maybe?
My, oh my...I'm eager to see that review.
Old November 18, 2008, 08:23 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Good job mate. Looks like this thing may be worth the few extra $ over a 4870. Not to mention it would fold it into the ground.

Dugg
Old November 18, 2008, 03:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm thinking about picking one of these up.

I wanted to do SLI with the BFG GTX-280 H2OC (love the single-slot card!)

BUT

If they're bringing out a 55nm core revision, it might be worth waiting on.

Of course, I could get the cards now and do tradeup, but I don't think they're changing the model.

Ah...decisions.
Old November 18, 2008, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Glad you managed to get the review out which I enjoyed and lookign forward to the psu reviews again

This looks like a really nice card and a great deal from BFG with the warranty and trade-up. I'd hate to see them go out of business so this could help them out a bit.

You must have a pretty brutal Crysis benching system to get those averages though. One thing is that the price is on par with a 4870 1gb which if overclocked might give this card a run for its money when the aa is turned up.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old November 18, 2008, 06:32 PM

Not ONE of the manufacturers is able to send us a 1GB HD 4870 card...which is too bad.

And yes, my Crysis benchmark is VERY tough.
Old November 18, 2008, 07:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

And amazingly enough, those scores highly resemble the numbers I see when I, you know, actually PLAY the game. Who would have thought it?

Nice review, although now that you mention it, any particular reasoning behind revamping your PSU test setup? You had a setup at one point that could kick a 1kW PSU's butt. Has that been taken down?
Old November 19, 2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
And amazingly enough, those scores highly resemble the numbers I see when I, you know, actually PLAY the game. Who would have thought it?
Makes you wonder don't it? Anyways, it is a 10 minute timedemo.

Quote:
Nice review, although now that you mention it, any particular reasoning behind revamping your PSU test setup? You had a setup at one point that could kick a 1kW PSU's butt. Has that been taken down?
Revamping was needed since the test system was no longer representational of a system an enthusiast would be running.