Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2008, 07:11 AM
Banned

Default PCIE bus voltage recomendations for GTX 260

Do anyone know what the recommended PCIE bus voltage recommendation are for the GTX 260? I was having problems with my card and NVIDIA suggested that I check/increase the PCIE bus voltage but never gave me any amount to set it at so I was hoping someone here could tell me, or at least direct me to some place that could tell me as I don't want to damage my card.

-yes I did the whole driver cleaner thing
-came from a 9800GTX+
- card works fine on friends computer with same game(s)

System Specs:

P5Q-E
E8500
4G of OCZ Reaper Hpc Edition 8500
Old November 13, 2008, 07:27 AM
Banned

It is a lot similar to the problem I was having with my 9800GTX+........which is the whole reason I replaced it

Ok here are the three links to the videos. Watch them and see if you can help me with what is going on?

EVE Files: EXEFILE_2008-11-04_20-01-11-04.ZIP

EVE Files: EXEFILE_2008-11-04_20-01-35-07.ZIP

EVE Files: EXEFILE_2008-11-04_20-04-17-82.ZIP

Last edited by Gameplaywarrior; November 13, 2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old November 13, 2008, 08:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Might be better linking the videos to you-tube or something like that-zipped files can lead to nasty surprises.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old November 13, 2008, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You shouldn't have to increase the PCI-E voltage. Check your PSU and see if it's giving out enough power.
Old November 13, 2008, 10:35 AM
Banned
F@H

Yeha, under no circumstances should PCI-E voltage have to be increased, and I am quite shocked that tech would suggest such a foolish thing. As geo says, check your psu, but at teh same time, the board or vga may also be faulty, and considering you say you had teh same issue with 9800GTX, it really points to PSU or mobo.
Old November 13, 2008, 12:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
Yeha, under no circumstances should PCI-E voltage have to be increased, and I am quite shocked that tech would suggest such a foolish thing. As geo says, check your psu, but at teh same time, the board or vga may also be faulty, and considering you say you had teh same issue with 9800GTX, it really points to PSU or mobo.
LOL - foolish tech support guy - yeah I guess you would need to raise it to 2V

But on a more serious note - you don't play with this - leave it as it is, your videocard is based on the normal PCIe specifications so why the hell did he tell you that, beats me - they hire anybody I guess. You either have a faulty card or your PSU does not provide enough amperage to your card - before buying a graphics card always check its power rating and what is required - and do the same for your PSU, make sure it exceeds the rating of your components combined, to avoid always running under stress. Might be helpful for you to post more information.
Old November 13, 2008, 03:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameplaywarrior View Post
Do anyone know what the recommended PCIE bus voltage recommendation are for the GTX 260? I was having problems with my card and NVIDIA suggested that I check/increase the PCIE bus voltage but never gave me any amount to set it at so I was hoping someone here could tell me, or at least direct me to some place that could tell me as I don't want to damage my card.

-yes I did the whole driver cleaner thing
-came from a 9800GTX+
- card works fine on friends computer with same game(s)

System Specs:

P5Q-E
E8500
4G of OCZ Reaper Hpc Edition 8500
I'm gonna check out the video's but does this happen outside station as well?, because if it only happens inside a station then well, I'll let you answer the question first before I make an idiot of my self explaining to you with the way the eve client works.
Old November 14, 2008, 10:22 AM
Banned

It happens in side and out side the station, out side the station other objects have the lines and that as well. (ex the station it's self as well as the stargates). It don't seem to be so visible on the planets tho.

Well I have a Corsair HX620W and according to the NCIX forums that should run my GTX 260 with out issues....I got it the same time as my new card and according to EVERST the psu 12v rail(s) is stable

Quote:
Might be helpful for you to post more information.
What more information do you require....let me know and I will post it

Last edited by Gameplaywarrior; November 14, 2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old November 14, 2008, 06:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A Corsair HX620 should be able to run a GTX260 fine. Legit Reviews had one and it was able to power two 4870X2 in Crossfire mode, even though the graphic cards weren't getting all the juice required, it pulled a good 791W from the wall.

What problems do you have with your GTX260 anyways?
Old November 15, 2008, 02:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
A Corsair HX620 should be able to run a GTX260 fine. Legit Reviews had one and it was able to power two 4870X2 in Crossfire mode, even though the graphic cards weren't getting all the juice required, it pulled a good 791W from the wall.

What problems do you have with your GTX260 anyways?
Obviously the tech guy he dealt with was an IDIOT, because the card is powered by the PCIE power connector from your PSU, the PCIe slot voltage should never be changed, regardless of the card you are running, be it a 260 or a 290 :D what matters is that your PSU can provide enough amps to your card when in full load - people usually up their voltage to help in overclocking the bus ! people working tech support should be better trained! :D