Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2008, 09:15 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Upcoming GPU Reviews: what YOU want to see

Within the next two weeks we will be releasing a total of three GPU reviews to clear out the backlog from my recent move to new digs. After those three are released (plus maybe one or two more), we will be extensively changing the games used for benchmarks since some of the games we have are getting a bit long in the tooth.

The test system will also be changed to an overclocked i7-based setup sometime in the near future.

Here is a possible rundown of the "new" benchmark list:

3DMark Vantage
3DMark06
Mirror's Edge
Left 4 Dead
Far Cry 2
Fallout 3
Dead Space
Crysis: Warhead
X3: Terran Conflict
World In Conflict
Race Drive: GRID
Stalker: Clear Sky

The reason I am posting this is because I would like feedback from the community here at HWC. Are there other games / benchmarks you would like to see added? If so, which ones?

I look forward to your responses.

Last edited by SKYMTL; November 13, 2008 at 07:51 AM.
Old November 6, 2008, 09:40 AM
Banned
F@H

My thoughts do not include sythetic benchmarks as they are not accurate in comparing real-world performance. The difference in performance in comparison between cards in Vantage or 3DMark does not translate directly into ANYTHING.

Call of Duty 4
Far Cry 2
Fallout 3
Dead Space
World In Conflict

Company of Heroes
GRID
Old November 6, 2008, 09:42 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Cod 5 now.
Racedriver grid is being used lots too.
Old November 6, 2008, 09:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
My thoughts do not include sythetic benchmarks as they are not accurate in comparing real-world performance. The difference in performance in comparison between cards in Vantage or 3DMark does not translate directly into ANYTHING.

Call of Duty 4
Far Cry 2
Fallout 3
Dead Space
World In Conflict

Company of Heroes
GRID
I second the inclusion of GRID.
Old November 6, 2008, 09:45 AM
Allstar
F@H

Supreme Commander can be demanding in games with lots of AI players,
but Iím not sure if there is a standard benchmark for the game though.
A little (a lot) off topic maybe, but lately Iíve been interested just how PhysX
can improve games. Eg. Using a second card dedicated to PhysX.
Information seems quite sparse, on whats supported, how its used, etc.
Old November 6, 2008, 09:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd be tempted to drop COD4 from the list although I maybe missing something.

The other games look good for taxing the cards although games like crysis warhead and farcry are perhaps a bit biased towards Nvidia cards in terms of coding? You probably cant avoid that given Nvidias position in the market and these are great benching titles.

Anyway these games will seperate the men from the boys especially with AA at high resolutions.

I also get the feeling that most of us are not going to be switching platforms anytime soon- but it will be good to see how the cards perform on Nehalem.

One thing that interests me is how much of a limiting factor is framebuffer in recent titles? eg 512 vs 1gb and how this carrys through to crossfire or SLI. In my case I find it odd that 2 4870 512's in crossfire are getting the same results as the 4870X2 2gb in Farcry2 up to about 4AA at 1920x1200. With crossfire disabled Im getting the same results as most 4870 512 posted ie. less than the 1gb 4870. I'd love to see 2 48701gb vs 4870 512 vs 4870X2 in crossfire to see whats going on.

Edit: Would also like to see more balanced approaches when comparing overclocked Nvidia and stock ATI cards. Its a bit like comparing a heavily oc'd E6750 to a stock E8500. On the web I'm forever seeing Nvidia SSC or OC2 cards contrasted against stock ATI cards, it would be nice to see some ATI overclocking for a change or different cards compared at stock and then move to oc'd versions.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.

Last edited by magictorch; November 6, 2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old November 6, 2008, 10:14 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I tend to agree in large with cadaveca on this point but one must not exclude these benchmarks as many enthusiasts main graphic concerns are towards benchmarking scores alone.

Also I would suggest the inclusion of Folding@Home PPD into the mix as so many people purchase video cards with an eye towards maximizing their daily output and including a cards average PPD would be very helpful for some buyers.
Old November 6, 2008, 10:29 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I guess that depends on what you use your PC for. When I read a review the first test I go are vantage and 3dmark 06, those are just universal gauges of performance unless you are looking for something specific. If you play COD4 all day then check the COD4 tests. But in general if a card gets a higher vantage score by a decent margin, it will be better for most 3d apps.
Quote:
My thoughts do not include sythetic benchmarks as they are not accurate in comparing real-world performance. The difference in performance in comparison between cards in Vantage or 3DMark does not translate directly into ANYTHING
And I agree with ^^. FAH PPD measured by fahmon would be a great addition.
Old November 6, 2008, 10:34 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I would really like to see cod4 or cod5
Old November 6, 2008, 10:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow deadspace that doesn't almost seem worth benching good luck showing any FSAA results besides the in game settings. Sky if you have better luck than I did let me know, even forcing FSAA through the driver settings didn't seem to make any difference performance wise or visually.

EE