Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2008, 11:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaverclan View Post
just to clarify if i go from an oc'ed 8800gt xfx, to a gtx 280 i will see a massive amount of performance increase right? i only game at 1440x900 and my vision is not the greatest so i decided to stay small becasue if is bigger evrything is smaller and i just get closer lol.
bumb for my question lol
Old November 7, 2008, 07:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
just to clarify if i go from an oc'ed 8800gt xfx, to a gtx 280 i will see a massive amount of performance increase right? i only game at 1440x900 and my vision is not the greatest so i decided to stay small becasue if is bigger evrything is smaller and i just get closer lol.
Huge difference!!!

Old November 7, 2008, 07:45 PM
Top Prospect

Tx650, 2 more amps on the 12vdc; NOT modular, a great PSU

WC Loop: DD Cpx-Pro | HWL 240 Xtreme | D-Tek V2
Old November 7, 2008, 07:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
NOT modular, a great PSU
Any decent high end PSU less than 1kW are generally on a single Rail, as in my current PC P&C 750W, however, Modular multi Rail PSU are quite common on 1kW or higher and are also very good PSU's.

Old November 7, 2008, 08:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
well yeah, will a GTX 280 run ok on my rig's psu and will any of my parts totally bottle neck the thing, and im on vista x64 if that helps, i know i have the cooling and room for it anyway. and im going to NOT sli, gaming at 1440x900 so is an ati better or no i dont want to change any of my parts if i don't have to. $430 is my budget im in USA.
You'll likely want to OC that CPU to around 3.2 Ghz anyhow...and be sure that PSU has a 8 Pin (6 + 2 is fine) and another 6 Pin.

Old November 7, 2008, 09:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

k awesome found this one and they dont charge tax in my state so its a damb good deal is this one ok? BFG GeForce GTX 280 Video Card - OC Edition, 1GB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0 x16, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, HDMI Support, VGA Support, FREE Far Cry 2 Game BFGEGTX2801024OCE at TigerDirect.com
edit if my psu dosnt have that plug the 8 pin the card come with an adapter i believe
Old November 7, 2008, 09:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can use the apadpter but they don't recommend it for permanent or longterm use, thats what it said in the quick setup guide of my GTX280

Good deal on the card thats what I paid for mine a month ago, however I didn't a free game with it.
Old November 7, 2008, 09:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
You can use the apadpter but they don't recommend it for permanent or longterm use, thats what it said in the quick setup guide of my GTX280

Good deal on the card thats what I paid for mine a month ago, however I didn't a free game with it.
yeah well dang i already bough farcry 2 lol but my friend would have an early birthday gift lol hes searching under his couches for change for this game lol. which model of card do u have EE. edit read your sig nvm, if u could find a better deal for one at this site TigerDirect.com - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Components & Electronics i would be very greatfull lol. two heads searchings is better than one. edit2: found this one it's a higher clock in everything. EVGA GeForce GTX 280 Video Card - Superclocked Edition, 1GB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, FREE Special Edition EVGA Precision Overclocking Utility, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV 01G-P3-1282-AR at TigerDirect.com

EVGA GeForce GTX 280 Video Card SSC Edition, 1GB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, FREE Special Edition EVGA Precision Overclocking Utility, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV 01G-P3-1284-AR at TigerDirect.com

PNY GeForce GTX 280 Video Card - 1GB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, VGA Support VCGGTX280XPB at TigerDirect.com

Last edited by reaverclan; November 7, 2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old November 8, 2008, 05:16 PM
MVP

My System Specs

which of the above would u choose^^
Old November 8, 2008, 08:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Don't really matter, depends what your expectations of OC'ing are......if no OC'ing, get the cheapest...if you expect the best from OC'ing, pay for the best....I presently have 2 GTX 280 SSC Editions and have no problem OC'ing both to 710+ speeds, but thier are no guarentees!!!