Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 25, 2008, 04:27 AM
MVP

Unhappy BFG 8800gt oc temps high

hello all.

just put in one of those bfg 8800gt oc cards.

found that the idle is getting to 64C. a tad high for such a big case. i have fans nearly everywhere.

i have used ntune to force the fan to run at 55%. this brings the temp down to 53C. not perfect but better than idling at 64C.

i can seem to figure how to use ntune to create a rule to make 55% the minimum speed. need to know because when i restart the system it goes back to the default.

also today i will be puting together a sli system with 2 of these and a quad core processor. dont want heat ot become a major issue.

thx

rob123
Old October 25, 2008, 08:24 AM
MVP

My System Specs

The 8800GT's are good cards, but cooling is an issue unless you get the EVGA Akimbo edition, which is a great cooler. You can buy it seperately

EVGA | Products

Does anyone know if this will work on a 9800GT? Looks like it should. An of course there are other good aftermarket coolers. Again great cards but it's almost a certainty to buy aftermarket cooling if you get one of these cards 8800GT/9800GT.
Old October 25, 2008, 10:16 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob123 View Post
hello all.

found that the idle is getting to 64C. a tad high for such a big case. i have fans nearly everywhere.

i have used ntune to force the fan to run at 55%. this brings the temp down to 53C. not perfect but better than idling at 64C.

i can seem to figure how to use ntune to create a rule to make 55% the minimum speed. need to know because when i restart the system it goes back to the default.

also today i will be puting together a sli system with 2 of these and a quad core processor. dont want heat ot become a major issue.

thx

rob123
Use Rivatuner to set the fans speed higher than default, and be able to save that profile for the next Windows boot.

Also the 8800GT / Accelero S1 with dual 120s is a killer combo. Don't remember the exact temps, but the drop was huge.
Old October 25, 2008, 10:40 AM
Rookie

I have a PNY 8800gt with a crap cooler on it as well. I let it idle at ~ 60C with the fan at 30% because I can't stand the sound of it.

Anyway I've been looking at the Accelero S1 and according to reviews the drops with only 1x 120mm fan are already huge. Idle temps down to the mid 30s or so and load temps in the low 50s, if I remember correctly. That's pretty close anyway and with 2x 120mm fans you could probably drive load temps down into the 30s, with cool enough ambient temps.

I'm a bit frustrated that with the 1.1v BIOS mod I can still only get to 720/1782/1000 and I'm hoping that the Accelero can help me break at least 730/1850.

edit: OCed to 720/1782/1000 and case temps of around 40C, ambient ~ 25C or so, 1/2 an hour of Furmark 1920x1200 8xMSAA got my card up to 74C, fan 100%.

Last edited by cgbc; October 25, 2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old October 25, 2008, 11:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
hello all.

rob123
I've purchased one myself from DC few months ago and it's been running great - Your temps seem high - Mine is running stock OC speeds 625/900, with default fan speed and my temps are 49-50C GPU / GPU MEM 41C, GPU ambiant 36C, no fans blowing on the card - 2 antec Pro 80mm fans sucking air out the back auto speed controlled. Now let's rule out that you have one of those defective GPUs that overheat. First thing I did was put that card to a stress test, I used GPUCaps and run a Furtest using the highest quality settings - you can try any other game or benchmark that puts full load on your GPU - and closely monitor the temps while you do so - which is why I use GPUCaps, if the temps sky rocket and reach the 100's, stop the test immediately. During the hot summer month and full stress test that card has not gone above 85-86C. If your card's temp remains stable in the 80s or lower and doesn'T keep climbing, then I guess it's an airflow issue or your case is hot on the inside - I can even run this card to over 700, ontop of the OC and it runs stable. If you can bring down the temps with 55% fan, that's fine, but what I would consider is if the card gets too hot when in use, th at is what you should look at.
Old November 6, 2008, 02:46 AM
Top Prospect

I am getting the exact same thing with my BFG (looks like you have the exact same card that I do). Mine Idles right around there and the hottest I have seen it get is 96*C under full load. Not to hijack your thread but has anyone ever dealt with BFG for warranty repair, my 8800GT was bought in january/febuary of this year and the fan is going. I think its a bad bearing because the fan appears to be bottoming out against the heatsing and scraping against it, makes a really annoying noise, funny thing is when you spin the fan up to say 65+% I guess the fan lifts up and dosn't scrape anymore. Way I see it that if left unchecked this is going to cause one of the fan blades to fracture and then the card would melt. I haven't got in touch with BFG yet about warranty repair, I expect I am going to have to pay to ship it to them and so on and its probably going to take a while so I just went out and bought an XFX 9800GT from NCIX. I figure when I get the 8800 back from repairs I will either sell it or the 9800, haven't decided which one yet.
Old November 6, 2008, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
hello all.

thx

rob123
As stated by many other users its pretty clear 8800GT suffers from a poor single slot cooling design, I'd looked into an aftermarket cooler.

Possible options out there are:

EVGA | Products Excellent cooling potential quiet, but limited only to the 8800GT video.

Arctic Cooling This one goes with little explanation other than that lots of people have this cooler, don't forget that it still needs a fan to achieve those awesome temps.

Arctic Cooling Excellent cooling in a sleeker package, some people have complained about the fans noise at higherspeeds, but it couldn't be anywhere near as bad as stock.

Ultimate CPU Cooling Solutions! USA There's little to be said other than thats its a thermalright and you know it will perform well. Only thing to take into consideration is that you need additional fan and they tend to be more expensive.

Ultimate CPU Cooling Solutions! USA Another excellent cooler from thermalright if you can find it cheap or cheaper than the T-RAD it might be a more economical choice between the 2 and not to worry it still performs just as well.

I am sure I have missed many other offerings out, but I hope it has shown you there is a lot to choose from and at many different price points. Always do a little price checking to get the best deal Canadian Prices: Search. Compare. Buy. - Canadian Online Shopping Search and Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbc View Post
I have a PNY 8800gt with a crap cooler on it as well. I let it idle at ~ 60C with the fan at 30% because I can't stand the sound of it.

Anyway I've been looking at the Accelero S1 and according to reviews the drops with only 1x 120mm fan are already huge. Idle temps down to the mid 30s or so and load temps in the low 50s, if I remember correctly. That's pretty close anyway and with 2x 120mm fans you could probably drive load temps down into the 30s, with cool enough ambient temps.

I'm a bit frustrated that with the 1.1v BIOS mod I can still only get to 720/1782/1000 and I'm hoping that the Accelero can help me break at least 730/1850.

edit: OCed to 720/1782/1000 and case temps of around 40C, ambient ~ 25C or so, 1/2 an hour of Furmark 1920x1200 8xMSAA got my card up to 74C, fan 100%.
I don't know what you're complaing about 720/1782/1000 are impressive clocks and quite honestly an additional 10Mhz is going to show little to nothing in improvements other than killing your 8800GT a little faster. If you want even more performance you'll have to voltmod your card to increase the amount of voltage to the core.

If you're interested please read: 8800GT Volt-Mod - Guru3D.com Forums
Old November 6, 2008, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well you both have faulty GPUs then - :D Shouldn't run that hot. I have the same card as you, BFG 8800GT OC, NEVER have to manually adjust the fan speed, always running default speeds, and here are my temps:

GPU 50C
GPU Mem: 45C
GPU Ambiant 38C

This is at stock OC speeds (625/900)
and fan 1094 RPM (30%)

It is a normal beige case with 2 Antec Pro 80mm fans outtakes at the back, and STOCk HSF air cooling for the 8800GT.

Temps under full load GPUCaps furtesting full settings never exceed 80-85C at most during hot summer months.

Why don't you try running that test and see if your card reaches the 100....then you have one of those faulty, overheating GPUs.......