Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 25, 2008, 04:08 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I would highly suspect hardware if you are getting crashes, and they disappear when lowering clocks. You are getting the same errors in Vista and XP which supports this as well. Not sure how your temps are, but perhaps there is something else wrong that crops up when the card is stressed.

When you underclocked, did you try your game in Vista and XP? If you can duplicate the behaviour in two different installs then it helps isolate the hardware further. How about using Rivatuner to underclock the shaders or core? (I have OC shaders using this program but never underclocked). Your PS is a good one, assuming it works fine.

If underclocking consistently provides stability across XP and Vista then I would assume it is hardware, most likely the video card, or possibly a power issue, but I doubt it. You could try swapping the PS if you have a good one handy, but I suspect you might have to open a ticket for your video card.

Perhaps one of the other gurus on here could offer another suggestion?
Fold for team #54196
Old October 25, 2008, 04:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Infinity just out of curiosity what version of drivers are you using, if it is 8.10, try rolling back and using 8.9 just in case.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 25, 2008, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I tried 8.7 all the way to 8.10, and it still would crash. (I used driver cleaner each time to remove leftover files) Now I'm on 8.11 beta drivers.
Old October 25, 2008, 04:36 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Just thinking some more about your issue, as its similar to mine as well...I see you are running an OC...have you set your PCI-E speed in your bios to 100mhz? I know my Gigabyte board will OC the bus if left to auto sometimes and it was something that I read that I needed to check.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 25, 2008, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh yeah, I forgot to update my sig. I tried reloading the defaults in BIOS, and it still didn't work. Right now, my CPU is at stock clocks. Also, I just found out the only the stock clocks (Core: 750, Mem: 900) don't work. I tried to OC my GPU, and its right now at Core: 790, Mem: 940, fan speed: 35% and I can play FC2 flawlessly.
Old October 25, 2008, 04:42 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

You saying that the card is not stable at stock, but is stable when overclocking?
Fold for team #54196
Old October 25, 2008, 04:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thats what it is like right now, yes.

And playing around with the settings some more, it'll crash only when I enable AA, and this only happens in FC2 and CoD4, but it'll crash at stock clocks even without AA. OCing, however lets me play the game at Ultra (no AA) without lag or crashes. Strange, eh?

EDIT: Nevermind. I spoke too soon. The game crashes, but after about 10min, it crashes still. But IMO, its still an improvement over the instant crash at stock clocks.

Last edited by Infiniti; October 25, 2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old November 18, 2008, 11:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Okay.. I've given up looking for a fix. I guess I'm just going to get an NVIDIA card..
Old November 19, 2008, 12:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
Okay.. I've given up looking for a fix. I guess I'm just going to get an NVIDIA card..
Have you tried RMA'ing the card? Frankly from your previous posts it seems like its a hardware issue. Does your Motherboard have 2 PCI-e slots? If so try the card in the other slot! I've seen issues before where its simply that one of the motherboard slots is defective. If all else fails, RMA the 4870, buying a new card would usually rank as last on my list of recourses. That being said if nothing else works, even RMAing the card, then sell it and get another brand/make .

Try my suggestions first though before RMAing to switching to a diffrent make/model.
Old November 19, 2008, 12:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Have you tried RMA'ing the card? Frankly from your previous posts it seems like its a hardware issue. Does your Motherboard have 2 PCI-e slots? If so try the card in the other slot! I've seen issues before where its simply that one of the motherboard slots is defective. If all else fails, RMA the 4870. That being said buying a new card would usually rank as last on my list of recourses, but if nothing else works after RMAing the card, then sell it and get another brand/make .

Try my suggestions first though before RMAing to switching to a diffrent make/model.
I bought this card from NCIX about two months ago. Isn't RMA only one month? Also, I guess I'll try the different mobo slot suggestion, but I'll have to do that tomorrow.