Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 22, 2008, 09:56 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default Is ATI getting greedy - 4870X2 @ $674 on NCIX

I have noticed ATI has been resistant to drop it's VGA card prices over the last month or 2. Know I know they came out with a rock solid product and have won back a good chunk of market share due to there 4800 series and it's prices. However I have noticed that as they gain popularity there prices have gone up. I know the basic principal of supply and demand dictates this plus the change in our dollar plus a slow down in the market could explain this, but I do not want to see ATI go down the road of Nvidia and get to comfortable at the top performance seat..I see the price of there flagship card creeping closing to $700 for a stock air cooled GPU which I think is unacceptable..I gave ATI credit for forceing Nvidia to lower it flagship cards pricing from $700-$850 down to a sub $550 price range but now they themselves are creeping up into that price point. The 4870X2 was supposed to be MSRP 549.99 at launch but has yet to see that price in exception of door crasher sales. I personally think that ATI should be keeping that price down as well as the price on there 4870 to continue to win market share. This current generation has done very well but that has been helped by the fact that the Intel chip sets as of late did not support SLI so many enthusiasts have gone to ATI to pair up with there X38 and X48 or P35/45 series boards, but this advantage will be gone in the next generation of Intel chip sets so ATI should be doing as much as possible to keep growing there market and fan base to carry them into the next generation on top of the game and ahead of Nvidia...but I am sure that the shareholders demand more profit and that AMD still has big bills to pay so they are siphoning every ounce of profit they can out of there price piece branch ATI. shareholders be damned.... please ATI do not reverse the progress you have brought to the GPU market and the massive savings you have helped bring to the consumers. Viva la price war...viva la revolution

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old October 22, 2008, 10:03 AM
Allstar
F@H

You do know, this is caused by the weak CAD dollar. Everything went up. Now, you got to pay 15% extra to get something off the states. So...

700 - 15% = 600$

This explains the higher prices, I wouldn't blame ATI for that.
CPU Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Memory Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX
Old October 22, 2008, 10:17 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Cdn$ is now under .80 US. The good times for getting hardware seem to be over.
Old October 22, 2008, 10:21 AM

My System Specs

Ya this sucks :( I knew I should of bought the 4870 x2 a few weeks ago back when they were $525 on sale.
Old October 22, 2008, 10:55 AM
Allstar
F@H

I find it funny that when our dollar was so high, all the big companies said "it takes time for the change in the dollar to affect our prices" but now that the dollar has dropped they drop their prices almost instantly.
Old October 22, 2008, 11:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRox View Post
I find it funny that when our dollar was so high, all the big companies said "it takes time for the change in the dollar to affect our prices" but now that the dollar has dropped they drop their prices almost instantly.
Seems all too true with big companies. I just finished my pc and ordered all my parts just before this big decline.
Old October 22, 2008, 11:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRox View Post

Exactly.... as I said in my post I realize the economic reasons however given the stock levels and manufacturing cost at the time of production and shipment to resellers and suppliers and the stock levels at resellers during the low dollar...there is very little reason for the price to spike as it has so far so fast...and yeah it took 6 months before companies even started adjusting there prices to a higher dollar after many customer uprisings but it takes less then a week for the prices to reflect a lower dollar.

And lets not forget these products have a refresh cycle of 6-9 months before being replaced..and the lower cost of manufacturing as quantity of shipments increases as it has with ATI which usually leads to lower costs and combined with the economic situation this would put prices at exactly where they were before the dollars fall...

Either way I am merely pleading that ATI keeps there pants on and continues to do itself and the consumers justice.

Now the resellers are another story..who are really the ones to target for uping there prices so fast to reflect the higher dollar...really I think they are padding there wallets before the crazyness that is christmas strips the margin from there products.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old October 22, 2008, 01:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Its actually very predictable....as in falling ATI 4870x2 prices when the GTX 280 / 350 are released...simple really. As long as its the "King of the hill"...its the "King of the $$$".

Old October 22, 2008, 01:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Glad I purchased mine for 520 :)

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old October 22, 2008, 02:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Glad I purchased mine for 520 :)

indeed I only wish I took the hit and got 2 when that sale was on... Oh well when the 290GTX comes out there should be another price drop.