Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 22, 2008, 03:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
Cdn$ is now under .80 US. The good times for getting hardware seem to be over.
ANd for those living in Quebec and buy products in Quebec they have to pay 15% tax on top of that - so eventually our dollar will reach 70 cents, so doing the math, 30% + 15%.....looks like it's back to paying $800 on a graphics card that costs $400 US :D
Old October 22, 2008, 03:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Take notice of the price of the GTX 280 over this past 3 weeks...I paid $560 total (taxes included) (( SSC Edition))...its now gone up my almost $80 on DC since my purchase. Damn..when the CDN $$$ was at $1.08 USD, a fellow should have jumped all over one of those great US Foreclosures !!! Oh well....

Old October 22, 2008, 04:37 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
ANd for those living in Quebec and buy products in Quebec they have to pay 15% tax on top of that - so eventually our dollar will reach 70 cents, so doing the math, 30% + 15%.....looks like it's back to paying $800 on a graphics card that costs $400 US :D

booo....

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old October 22, 2008, 06:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm.. Our dollar sure ain't lookin' good right now.. 0.7954USD and dropping.
Old October 22, 2008, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

just curious...

why is canadian dollar dropping...?

sorry i am not money expert... can someone please explain clearly?

and i am disappoint that i can't build another gamer computer (i45,eb8500,etc) for good price...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old October 22, 2008, 07:28 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Looks like 4870's in CF aren't gonna happen anytime soon for me. 400+ bones is too much for ANY single peice of computer hardware IMO whether it be a cpu, mobo, video card, etc......
The price jumps for everything on NCIX right now are fricken ridiculous! Just click on something and watch the price change as the page loads. I could see $10 or $20 here and there on certain items, but a $50+ jump on almost every video card I checked out is wild.
Old October 22, 2008, 07:50 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA View Post
just curious...

There is actually a variety of reasons that are all interconnected, and yet all seperate and just happened all at the same time so it took a huge hit.

Obviously the primary source is the global economic crisis. Which caused the US to inject billions of dollars to their economy which strengthened their dollar.... which to me is rather interesting as for all intents and purposes it SHOULD be causing inflation... but it didn't. This also has to do with the borrowing of money and invest from other nations.

This has caused a dramatic increase in investments in the US assets market, which in turns means pulling money away and far less purchasing of Canadian commodities which are the backbone of our economy and therefore our dollar. One of the major contributors being oil (and political activits slammed Harper for want to put money into the oil sands.... THEY are the largest contributor to our economy, without them we sink - but that is another story)

I don't understand it all myself but that is about the jist of it.

Last edited by FiXT; October 22, 2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old October 22, 2008, 07:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA View Post
just curious...

sorry i am not money expert... can someone please explain clearly?

and i am disappoint that i can't build another gamer computer (i45,eb8500,etc) for good price...
Canaidan Dollar is dropping in relation to the US dollar for 2 reasons 1. Due to rallies in Treasury Notes(have to be bought in US dollars, lotsa people wanna buy US treasuring notes, = huge demand for US currency, which equals big dollar), because US Treasury notes are viewed as "safe" when it comes to economic downturns (ie they hold their value no matter what happens). 2. Drop in comdeity prices, canada is a HUGE resource king, we dig most of the raw materials the US use, such as nickel, copper, oil, trees etc.

In actuallity the drop due to the 2nd reason is fairly small, if it wasn't for reason #1 I would suspect we would be in the 88-95 cent range still today.
Old October 22, 2008, 07:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
There is actually a variety of reasons that are all interconnected, and yet all seperate and just happened all at the same time so it took a huge hit.

b]Obviously the primary source is the global economic crisis. Which caused the US to inject billions of dollars to their economy which strengthened their dollar.... which to me is rather interesting as for all intents and purposes it SHOULD be causing inflation... but it didn't. This also has to do with the borrowing of money from other nations.[b/]

This has caused a dramatic increase in investments in the US assets market, which in turns means pulling money away and far less purchasing of Canadian commodities which are the backbone of our economy and therefore our dollar. One of the major contributors being oil (and political activits slammed Harper for want to put money into the oil sands.... THEY are the largest contributor to our economy, without them we sink - but that is another story)

I don't understand it all myself but that is about the jist of it.
Correct, normally printing money makes it worth much less, BUT the demand in US dollars due to massive amounts of people wanting to buy treasuring notes out strips the effect of printing money.. FOR NOW.

But yea, what I said in my previous post is true, but simply its my personal opinion of WHAT causing more dollar slip than the other.
Old October 22, 2008, 08:00 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Correct, normally printing money makes it worth much less, BUT the demand in US dollars due to massive amounts of people wanting to buy treasuring notes out strips the effect of printing money.. FOR NOW.

But yea, what I said in my previous post is true, but simply its my personal opinion of WHAT causing more dollar slip than the other.
Ahh see thats the peice of the puzzle I hadn't read on - Seems to be something none of the major finicial papers are reporting as much as the commodity hit so it just never clicked with me. Makes perfect sense though - easy money