Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2008, 07:51 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Palit Support.

Hi all,
Not sure were to post this, so if this is not the right spot mods please move it.
I got a Sonic 512MB 4850 not too long ago and it did not come with the DVI to HDMI dongle, I have seen reviews of this card with and without the dongle included, there was no mention of the dongle on the box or manual.

Any way I read the reviews and know that the one I got might not have the dongle but I have a very good DVI to HDMI cable but when I tried to get sound over HDMI from the cards on board codec I was unable to. My first thought was it must be my cable so I sent a e-mail to Palit to see where I could get the ATI dongle, but I also saw others at ATI forums having the same issue even with the ATI dongle. And to make things worst I don't which ATI dongle to buy because there is apparently different types.

After a couple e-mails back and forth from Palit support, they are going to send me one for my card. All this only took a few hours and I was willing to buy one from Palit or for them to point out which one I should get. And I even mention that this might be ATIís problem since I saw it on their forums. Yet the person at Palit did not try and pass it off on ATI or make me go through hoops, in their words ďIím happy to do whatever I can to get this working for you.Ē

I have dealt with many companies over the years regarding PCís and very few have customer support this good, Palit will definitely be getting my business in the future. I just thought I would share this with you guys because product support is something a lot of people donít think about until something goes wrong, and then you will definitely want support like this.
Old October 20, 2008, 08:29 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

I will definitely keep that in mind when I buy my next video card!

Thanks for the great info
RAM: 1x2GB
OCZ DDR2-800 PC2-6400
+ 2x2GB Crucial DDR2-800 PC2-6400
= 6GB RAM (finally more than 2GB!)
GPU: XFX GeForce9800GTX+
HDDs: 500 Seagate, 640 GB WD Caviar Black
PSU: CoolerMaster 600W
Old October 20, 2008, 09:00 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Palit and HWC are working hard on bringing better customer support to Canadians. Some of you may not know it but every single review we do of a new supporting GPU manufacturer involves us calling tech support and giving them a dry run. If there are any issues they are immediately brought up to our contacts. This happened with Palit and it looks like they are taking the necessary steps to resolve some issues I had with their CS a few months back.
Old October 20, 2008, 09:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thats very good news to hear. I was a skeptic at first when I bought my Palit 4850 but after hearing many people actually deal with them directly it seemed they really do care about us Canadian customers. A big gripe of most people was that they don't include a crossfire bridge with many of their products but those few who have taken the time to call on Palit support found that Palit was more than happy to send them off a free bridge. I don't know if this was an isolated "spontanious act of kindness" on the part of Palit but if these good vibes continue I think Palit can only benefit from the enthusiast word of mouth.
Old October 21, 2008, 02:20 AM
Top Prospect

If you are converting a DVI signal to an HDMI cable, you will not get sound. DVI bandwidth only supports your video signal, you will still need your audio connected through the soundcard.
Windows 8 Standard
Gigabyte GA-B75M-HD3
1TB SATA III
Realtek Onboard
NZXT Phantom 410 Gaming Case
Corsair 500w
Old October 21, 2008, 07:06 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
If you are converting a DVI signal to an HDMI cable, you will not get sound. DVI bandwidth only supports your video signal, you will still need your audio connected through the soundcard.
Hey KnSKranky, that was the case a long time a go but now most cards allow sound out over DVI to HDMI. Most Nividia cards have SPDIF headers for you sound card to hook up to and ATI goes futher by integrating a audio codec in to thr GPU so you don't even need a sound card.
Old October 21, 2008, 08:16 AM

I have been using my HD4850 to output audio and video to my 1080P Sammy 805 for the last week. Seems to work quite well.
Old October 21, 2008, 08:40 AM
Banned
F@H

Anything earlier, SKY, and it's 2.0 LPCM signals only. can you get 7.1, or just 5.1?
Old October 21, 2008, 08:48 AM

I am not set up for 7.1 so I haven't tried. My receiver is an older 5.1 Sony model...
Old October 21, 2008, 08:52 AM
Banned
F@H

Kinda defeats the purpose of using HDMI without offering 7.1 LPCM...Futureshop had a "one day sale" and I got an HD-audio reciever...

I never got a chance to try the Plait HDMI adapter in the 4780sonic, but I did notice it's alot shorter than the others I have...