Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15, 2008, 10:41 AM
MVP

Default New build, mid level parts, which card?

OK, so here is the scenario:

MSI P7N SLI 750i motherboard. (Gift from a good buddy who went with an Xfire set up in his new build)

E6850 cpu

4 GB of ram, likely ddr2-800. Thinking Mushkin, but not decided.

Now for the GPU - I really like the IceQ4 4850 that my buddy set up in Xfire. I also realize that for the MSI board I have, xfire won't work. I also really like the evga 9800gtx+ that another fellow is using in his new build.

Question: is it a big drawback, since I will likely only run one card, to use the ATI card with this motherboard? Or should I stick to the Nvidia it was desgned for - a couple of bucks cheaper and very similar performance?
Thanks for your thoughts,
Zilla
Old October 15, 2008, 11:39 AM
Allstar
F@H

As shady as it sounds, I don't think there's been anything uncovered about Nvidia cards working better then AMD/ATI in an Nvidia motherboard. I've been doing it in older machines such as nforce4 s939 + X1950Pro & nforce2 s462 + ati X800xl and never had an issue. Now i'm doing the opposite, Intel chipset with crossfire support and an nvidia 8800GTS. As long as you're not trying to run dual cards I don't think it matters, 16x PCI-E is 16x PCI-E. And yes, 4GB of Mushkin SHOULD be in your near future :)

Old October 15, 2008, 11:47 AM
MVP

Yes, I'm eyeing those redlines.....good to know that the ATI won't fight with my 750i baord. :)