Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 13, 2008, 07:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Overclocking Palit Radeon 4850

Hi all.
Well I'm working down the list of things to overclock on my bang for the buck computer and now it's time to work some magic on the Palit Radeon HD 4850.

I've used ATI overdrive many times to increase cards past their stock settings but with this 4850 I seem to get stymied at every turn. Stock settings for this card are 625/993 and when I set overdrive to find an acceptable OC it comes back every time with 665/1023 which is ok if it worked.

My stress testing game of choice lately is Crysis or Crysis Wars multiplayer and both games play absolutely wonderful with my OC untill about 1-2 hours into gaming and then they freeze or I get a ATI recovery error saying it has lost contact to my card so it has reset. Hrmm sounds sorta like when I OC my CPU and didn't give it enough voltage so it just took a dump.

I know when you OC you usually have to raise voltage and thus get more heat but the funny thing is that the Palit 4850 never ever goes past it's 6% base fan profile..ever. So thinking that the card might be getting to hot I d/l RBE (Radeon Bios Editor) to see what the bios has in it's fan profile. I'll post a screen of what it said later but one thing I've also found strange is that no matter what OC I set the 4850 to its heat never goes past 59C so it's next fan profile never initiates. It's supposed to crank the fan up to 15% when the card reaches 60C. This happens in XP SP3 32bit and Vista SP1 32bit.

So I'm not sure if it's a heat issue here and I'm kind of suspecting a voltage problem and the card not getting enough juice. Anyways if anyone has some ideas how I can more reliably OC this card please help. I don't even mind flashing or editing the bios if thats what it takes...or even pencil volt modding *bawahahaha Any assistance would be awesome!

Name:  4850stock.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  87.4 KB
Name:  4850bios2.jpg
Views: 1630
Size:  93.5 KB
Name:  4850bios3.jpg
Views: 1437
Size:  88.9 KB

BTW I'm using RBE 1.15 because the latest version 1.16 isn't working with Vista atm but a fix is otw.
Old October 13, 2008, 08:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I guess it's the non-reference one?

Sounds like you need a voltage mod, though you could try flashing the BIOS of a reference card instead and see how that goes. Palit BIOS might just be seriously limited or something, who knows.

I've attached the latest reference BIOS that I found a while back if you want to give that a shot. Sapphire.HD4850.512.080618.zip

I'm personally using a modified version of it to suit my needs (fan profile and increased CCC limits).

And of course, all this is done at your own risk. Don't blame me if something goes wrong
Old October 13, 2008, 08:54 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Up the fan speed and set the vcore to the max 1.20 v with a modded bios. Suck a copy of your on board bios off the card with atiflash, mod the fan and volt values with RBE and flash it back on. Once you find a stable clock you can set those values too and flash them permanently.

Do not pencil volt mod without some better cooling.
Old October 14, 2008, 08:00 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Sweet advice guys thanks alot. jdrom17 your a full featured file forwarding friend heh. I took a look at your bios and its nice to compare. Also if you didn't know Techpowerup holds a truly incredible list of card bios' on their site. techPowerUp! :: Video Bios Collection

Squeetard I think I know what your talking about (sorta, kinda, but not really) but I'll get ATIflash in the meantime and let my brain warm up a bit this morning and hopefully I'll get the rest of what you said. I was thinking maybe I'd flash my bios to another card that Palit makes which is the 4850 Sonic which starts at 685/1000 and already has ATI overdrive limits set a bit higher to 735/1050, but once again theres no values set in the bios for the voltage. It just says --- for voltage. Also the max voltage every single Palit card bios I've seen is 1.158V not 1.2.

Anywho... I'm gonna be installing my old 3.25 A: drive and somewhere I dunno find a diskette. Maybe I'll just waste a couple dvd's and make them bootable with ATI flash and a backup of my current bios and another one with atiflash and the new bios. heh I'm taking this methodically as I don't have a backup pcie card in case things go terribly wrong.

As for pencil modding haha I was sorta kidding. Baby steps first.
Old October 14, 2008, 08:06 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

ATIFlash allows you to read and save the existing bios on your card. You can then mod that one. You can change the --- v value in RBE same as you change the clocks. the max you can set is 1.2v.

Edit, sorry, i read up on this again. Set your overclock voltages to 1.158 that will give the card 1.2 volts under load.
Old October 14, 2008, 08:27 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Ohh I getcha now. Just I was grabbing the bios using GPU-Z so I didn't get your "Suck a copy of your on board bios off the card with atiflash" That handy lil chip icon right beside the Bios version in GPU-Z is a godsend which I never realized existed. OK so set my voltage to 1.158 I get that...but which clock info place do I edit? I have ummm 9-10 of them some with the downclocked or throttled idled settings and some with the true clock and their voltage. Sorry I'm such a nub but you see I have clock info from 00 to 09.
Old October 14, 2008, 03:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysrun View Post
Sweet advice guys thanks alot. jdrom17 your a full featured file forwarding friend heh. I took a look at your bios and its nice to compare. Also if you didn't know Techpowerup holds a truly incredible list of card bios' on their site. techPowerUp! :: Video Bios Collection
That's where I got the Sapphire BIOS from but I was too lazy to go get a link from it for you so I just uploaded the file. That BIOS is totally unedited BTW.

Here's how my clock page looks:
Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1423
Size:  50.5 KB

As you can see, I didn't actually hard-code any of my clocks since I'd rather use CCC and set them. That way if something f*cks up then I can easily revert the change. I don't get stuck with a card that won't POST. Also when I run dual-monitors, I can't do any OC'ing due to a bug in the Catalyst drivers. Hopefully they fix it in 8.10...

If you want to hard-code the clocks, 03, 06, 09 are the ones you want to change as they are the "high" settings which would get used in full 3D mode. 01, 02, 04, 05, 07, 08 could all be set lower as they are used for 2D mode and UVD. Some people have put these lower than 500/750 but I find my card starts to flake out if I go too low.

Oh and having the voltage on -- equals the maximum anyway. If you check out your CCC profile, you'll see it says 1.158V which is the max you can set.
Old October 14, 2008, 03:32 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

In both your cases you'd set all the clock info columns that start with 625 to your overclocked settings and then the --- voltages in those columns to 1.158