Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2008, 11:52 PM
Top Prospect

Default New vid card for LAN game server (needs to run GUI)

I am in the process of building a new LAN party game server and I am stuck on what sort of vid card to get.

I don't want to spend a lot on the whole system (seeing as it will be a server) but I want to get the best possible sub-par vid card that would be capable of running GUI games such as TF2 or COD 4.

NCIX has a sale on right now: NCIX.com - Buy BFG GeForce 9800GT OC+ 635MHZ 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out DIRECTX10 Video Card - BFGE98512GTOCPE In Canada.
I am considering purchasing this seeing as it's in my price range and it's more than capable of running most games in GUI.

There's also a 9600 GT on sale that I might get instead seeing as it's cheaper.
Any other suggestions? (cheaper one? do I need such a high performance card?)
Old October 9, 2008, 05:30 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Why do you need to be running the game?

You know you can get a dedicated server program which is solely the server and nothing more. Then I doubt you'd need any gaming card. Could do with a cheap $20 one or something.
Old October 9, 2008, 07:27 AM
Allstar
F@H

Agreed with JD. Most games have a dedicated server program that runs in a console. Way better to run that way.

Old October 9, 2008, 08:03 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I am running a LAN/WAN game server on a dedicated computer and you do NOT need anything other than onboard video for a dedicated server. If you are playing the game then that is another story but most dedicated servers have zero 3D load and everything is done on the CPU and in memory (my TF2 dedicated server runs in a dos window and my HL2 DM Dedicated server runs in a script window. Even a old P4 at 3 Ghz with 1-2 gigs of ram is enough for a dedicated server. What is more important is a good internet connection and a good connection from your server to the modem. I spent more money on a new router (DIR 655) and a Intel PCI express nic then I did on my video card!
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old October 9, 2008, 04:15 PM
Top Prospect

ah ok thanks for the replies
I was thinking more in terms of flexibility... it wouldn't be running games all the time. So I would want some sort of card in there. For now though I will take your suggestions and just go with a cheapy cheap one.
Thanks