Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2008, 04:09 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Default I'm going to try something silly...

I'm going to see if I can make a 9800GT work as a dedicated PPU, while maintaining my HD4870X2 for graphics. This probably won't work, but since I have the card (or will shortly) which I bought for use in my workstation, I figure I'll give it a shot, just for yucks. Of course I will create a system restore point before I even attempt this, even though I don't really have anything installed on Vista at the moment.
Old October 1, 2008, 04:58 AM
MVP
F@H

I worry at the Nvidia and ATI drivers living together in such an unatural, unholy union! I hope it works though.
Old October 1, 2008, 05:04 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have seen it done but can't remember were. I think in order for it to work you have to have both video cards hooked up to a monitor so make sure you have 2 monitors before trying it.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old October 1, 2008, 09:09 AM
Top Prospect

It won't work in Vista, Vista doesn't allow ATI and Nvidia drivers to run at the same time.

It does work in XP
ATI drivers first
Nvidia drivers second (177.92 or higher)
You need a second monitor or KVM attached to Nvidia card to enable it (it's a Catalyst thing, you can remove the monitor after the card has been enabled)
Then you have to reinstall the PhysX driver
The PhysX panel will be greyed out for GeForce PhysX but it should work

FluidMark is the best way to tell if it's working
oZone3D.Net - PhysX FluidMark | PhysX Benchmark | Fluid Simulation | OpenGL 2.0, GLSL shaders, Overclocking Test
It will say PhysX mode Hardware if it is working

Patriot Viper 1833
PCP&C 750W
Win8 64bit
Custom W/C
Old October 1, 2008, 11:58 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Encruncher View Post
It won't work in Vista, Vista doesn't allow ATI and Nvidia drivers to run at the same time.
Crud, I was hoping to use it to inflate my Vantage score .
Old October 1, 2008, 04:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have an 8600GT coming and I was going to try this with my 3870X2. I'm also running Vista. :(
Old October 1, 2008, 05:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You guys can always buy a physx card. Although it isn't needed because there is only one recent game that uses physx well and that is only on special Phsyx maps and not in the normal game (Unreal Tournament 3). I have no idea why nvidia wasted their money on physx when a CPU/GPU can do the same if not better (Crysis, Farcry 2) with havok or other physic software.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old October 1, 2008, 05:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

New Ageia PhysX cards are still too expensive, and finding a used one would be near impossible. My buddy (McHutch) and I went splits on the two XFX cards that FrankyG had for sale in the buy/sell section here. I figured $40 is cheap for physx. I'm sure now that Nvidia owns PhysX and has it running on gpus, A TON of games will start using it. Just think, hardly anyone had a PhysX card before......... now everyone with an 8 series-and-up Nvidia card does and if they don't, it's easy and inexpensive to get one.

Hmmm........ there must be a way around the Vista conflict.

Well I googled for a fix. Couldn't find anything "yet". Someone might come up with something. I guess for now I'll just have to install XP when the 8600 comes so I can experiment.

------------------------------ * EDIT * ------------------------------

Someone got this idea working in a Beta version of Windows 7. ATI+NVIDIA Physx??? yes - techPowerUp! Forums

Looks like if we want ATI graphics with Nvidia PhysX in DX10 we'll have to wait quite a while.

Last edited by Killswitch; October 8, 2008 at 07:55 PM.