Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 30, 2008, 09:30 AM
MVP

Default Nvidia GPU solder joints at a disadvantage over ATI

"According to a research report out of UCLA, released this morning, NVidia's high-lead bump packaging could last anywhere from 1/10th to 1/100th as long as AMD's advanced eutectic bump approach. (TG Daily has picked up the claim.) NVidia is currently in the midst of a $200M recall of bad GPUs, and the report suggests that the issue could be much deeper than NVidia's PR department would have us believe."

The report lends credence to the strident claims of the Inquirer's Charlie Demerjian, which was discussed a month back.

Source: Slashdot | AMD Graphics Chips Could Last 10X To 100X Longer

---

The first link above is pretty technical. The TGDaily link is more "user-friendly".

The defect seems to only affect the G84/G86 series.
Old September 30, 2008, 09:39 AM
Allstar
F@H

Yeah Charlie can be pretty antagonizing and really really put the hate on Nvidia but you gotta give him credit for pushing to break the story...he takes a lot of flak and is discounted by so many for his like FOXNEWS "FAIR AND BALANCED" Approach...however when he is right he is right....and I enjoy his stories just to see him get flamed..he takes it all in stride.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old September 30, 2008, 10:57 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

No one listened when I defended Charlie...
Old September 30, 2008, 11:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

No, Charlie is a hate-mongering page-hit whore who grabs onto any and all rumours that might portray Nvidia in a bad light, and from time to time manages to run with a rumour that winds up having some truth to it, at which point he milks it for all its worth. Seriously, the guy has NO meaningful journalistic credibility at this point.

That aside, this story isn't particularly surprising. I remember Nvidia was encouraging its partners to use thinner PCB's not too long ago. I don't think that actually became a problem, although overclockers were expressing some concerns. But in this case, I thought high-lead solder wasn't ROHS-compliant? And Nvidia's still using it?

Edit: Eh, when was that, SKY? Honestly, most of his articles, I look at as a "how NOT to carry out hardware journalism. Maybe it was different a long time ago, but...
Old September 30, 2008, 11:54 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I dont how how you can defend him. I read so many of his stories that were absolute bullshit over the years that he has 0 credibility in my books.
Old September 30, 2008, 12:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

Well for one, its only a theoretical paper, no testing was done.
Another is the use of words and phrases like “lead to believe”
“reasonable to say” “may have” which doesn’t translate into we’ve proved it.

It could very well be true, and is a little beyond my field, but my experience when
working with PhD’s has never been that good when it comes to practical work.
I swear I don’t know how they even got themselves dressed in the morning sometimes.
Old September 30, 2008, 12:29 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Everyone looks at Charlie's 2900-series stories and gives those as a golden example of why he shouldn't be trusted. I know where his info came from and let's just say that if the same sources gave me that info, I would have believed them too. Granted, that was a blow-out but then again there are many other articles out there by "respected" journalists which have just the same amount of BS but get glossed over.

However, those of us who KNOW what he is all about know him as one of the best-connected tech journalists out there. It is as simple as that.

I have to give The Inquirer credit for publishing some of his articles since while forum dwellers love to insult the journalistic merit, us people with our ear to the ground in the industry silently nod our heads while thinking "wow, I just heard that yesterday from xxxxxx contact".

In no way am I saying that everything that he writes is god's honest truth but I have said it once and I will say it again: don't dismiss everything he has to say just because forum trolls with ties to certain companies want you to look the other way.
Old September 30, 2008, 02:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Everyone looks at Charlie's 2900-series stories and gives those as a golden example of why he shouldn't be trusted. I know where his info came from and let's just say that if the same sources gave me that info, I would have believed them too. Granted, that was a blow-out but then again there are many other articles out there by "respected" journalists which have just the same amount of BS but get glossed over.

However, those of us who KNOW what he is all about know him as one of the best-connected tech journalists out there. It is as simple as that.

I have to give The Inquirer credit for publishing some of his articles since while forum dwellers love to insult the journalistic merit, us people with our ear to the ground in the industry silently nod our heads while thinking "wow, I just heard that yesterday from xxxxxx contact".

In no way am I saying that everything that he writes is god's honest truth but I have said it once and I will say it again: don't dismiss everything he has to say just because forum trolls with ties to certain companies want you to look the other way.

Here Here....

You also cannot discredit his tech skills he has done well in many of the tech face offs held at the yearly Intel conference....however he does lack one serious attribute for someone in his position professionalism but who am I to tell someone to act more the part when I only wish I could be having that much fun.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old September 30, 2008, 05:14 PM
Banned
F@H

Wait, some kids @ UCLA writes up some stuff, and it's fact?

Original source:

Quote:
The composite solder joint has a built-in weakness due to the thin layer of eutectic SnPb solder in the joint. The eutectic SnPb has a low yield stress and it will deform first and lead to stress concentration and to accumulate high plastic strain energy.
The homogeneous eutectic SnPb solder joint tends to have a uniform composition and much lower plastic deformation so the accumulation of plastic strain energy per unit volume is lower.
If we define the failure by an energy criterion, the eutectic SnPb solder joint may have at least ten times longer life-time than the composite solder joint.
For life-time prediction, the real microstructure of these two kinds of flip chip solder joint should be studied and actual failure rate should be measured.

The problem, of coruse, is this is not any actual testing, it's merely a write-up of someone's "executive summary" of what will happen, based on the mechanical properties of the substances used to make these chips. And it has nothing to do with specific chips, other than the chips being "flip-chip" packaging.

A load of crap. While I don't approve of bashing in the context stated by you guys, I will call out grabs for hits.