Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20, 2008, 02:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yep, but still didn't get offered 1:1, as mentioned, 369.99 CDN$$ was on my Direct Canada Invoice, they converted that to $344 USD. New vanilla GTX280 is $449 USD.
Therefor, $449USD - $344USD (converted from CDN 369.99) = $105 USD + $30 USD (International Shipping) = $135 USD to step up from GTX260 FTW to Vanilla GTX 280.
Now, without the $40 MIR (as they also will deduct from the price, they twig onto it as soon as they recieve your box minus the Bar Code ((sent in for MIR)) ).
GTX 260 FTW $369.99 CDN + Tax / Misc (Insurance for shipping) = $420 CDN + $135 USD for Step up (CDN$143) = CDN$563 for a vanilla GTX 280

Right now @ DC EVGA E-GEFORCE GTX 280 602MHZ 1024MB 2.214GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card - DirectCanada
CDN$449.40 + Tax / insurance shipping (CDN$60) = CDN$509.40 - $CDN40 MIR = CDN$469.40 GRAND TOTAL

Bottomline is, you end paying almost $100 more to step-up vs the regular purchase. Not a great deal really, as indicated, the prices are inflated by $40. Why is Evga selling for $449 USD straight from factory when DC sells for CDN$449 - CDN $40 MIR ? Crazy eh....

Oh well, I've got 2.5 months left of Step-up and we'll see if the GTX280 comes down further in price, at this point I'd rather just go and purchase another GTX260 and go SLI.

Old September 20, 2008, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Actually EVGA updates their prices a lot later than the vendors do, if you wait for their prices to go down it might help.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old September 20, 2008, 10:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yep thats the plan for now.....figures eh...pick up this new 260FTW and not even a week later the 280's are fully stocked and lo and behold the new 216 Core...hahahahah....thats why I say "Future-proofing"...."Good luck with that"..

Old April 27, 2009, 04:13 PM
Rookie

Sorry for bumping an old thread... but does anyone know what the rate is that EVGA is going to convert from CAD to USD now? I paid CAD$199.99 for my 9800gtx+, and the gtx260 right now is USD$200 on their site... and I don't want to be paying US$30 plus shipping ($15-30) if that's how they're going to convert it.

Thanks!
Old April 27, 2009, 04:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Sometimes they convert it, sometimes they don't. My conversion rate last week was 1.235.
Old April 27, 2009, 04:44 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the info!

Does anyone know if conversion is random or based on current exchange rates? cuz for 1.235... I'm only getting USD$161... and I don't really want to pay USD$55 + my shipping there for an upgrade...

On the other hand, any chance of gtx 260 dropping $40 in the next 14 days?
Old April 27, 2009, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by antaholics View Post
Thanks for the info!

Does anyone know if conversion is random or based on current exchange rates? cuz for 1.235... I'm only getting USD$161... and I don't really want to pay USD$55 + my shipping there for an upgrade...

On the other hand, any chance of gtx 260 dropping $40 in the next 14 days?
It must be based somehow on exchange rates. They arnt going to make up a magical figure.

As to the 2nd question about the price dropping 40 bucks...
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old April 27, 2009, 05:19 PM
Rookie

Has anyone else done a step-up recently and can give a rate they were charged?

Yea I figured $40 is really pushing it... but every little bit helps

Stupid exchange rate
Old April 27, 2009, 10:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I told you what they charged for an exchange rate last week. It's right around the current bank rate. And they will advise you of the amount before you have to pay. You don't pay until your number comes up in the queue. So start your step-up, and cancel it if you don't like the price when they contact you.
Old April 27, 2009, 10:42 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I told you what they charged for an exchange rate last week. It's right around the current bank rate. And they will advise you of the amount before you have to pay. You don't pay until your number comes up in the queue. So start your step-up, and cancel it if you don't like the price when they contact you.
That sounds pretty good, I actually started my step-up a few hours ago for the exact same reasons you stated. I wanted to know if they always did currency conversion or does it totally depend on luck. Thanks for the help!