Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19, 2008, 12:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I was one that purchased an 8800 GTX and I can tell you that it "was" future-proofed" for maybe a year, now with the introduction of the GTX 2xx Series and 22" to 30" monitors being the norm I disagree that an old 8800GTX Card can provide the same performance as a new 2xx Series card on a High Resolution monitor, particularly ay High Settings in todays games.
Don't get me wrong, my 8800 GTX was a great card, but in order for me to play games on High Settings on High Res, the upgrade finally makes sense.
As for Future Proofing, yes to some extent, thier is some truth to that, as in an E8400 Processor, particulalrly if one purchased it several months ago, but in the Technological Advancement game of GPU's, thier is only "now", as 1 month after purchasing any GPU, thier will be better. Take for example the recently released 260 (216) Cards....do we buy one to "future-proof"?....or do we buy a gtx280 to "future proof"?...no such thing, as the GTX xxx with 55nm is likley around the corner.
Anyhow, in short, your right, future proofing in the computer world is their "to a certain extent", not in the GPU world though.

Old September 26, 2008, 08:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Great review!

Has anyone else here tried the s/pdif dongle to route 5.1 surround through the HDMI cable to your receiver? I did and the channels were all mixed up and faded in and out for movies- strangely it worked a little better for games. I'm not sure what the cause of this is though
Old September 26, 2008, 08:33 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Babs is back!!!!
Old September 26, 2008, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Their have been numerous complaints of this on the Evga Web Site as well..