Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 16, 2008, 04:29 PM
MVP

Alrighty...I just find the 1 year warranty (I'll probably change cards by then) and the poor customer service support, the super loud fan and the heat output an issue no?
Old September 16, 2008, 05:22 PM
Top Prospect

Default Reply

Great review SKY! So you knew it was coming all along? Too bad the price is kinda high...
Old September 16, 2008, 05:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_E View Post
Alrighty...I just find the 1 year warranty (I'll probably change cards by then) and the poor customer service support, the super loud fan and the heat output an issue no?
It might be worth the extra money to you, it just isn't to me.
Old September 16, 2008, 05:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting and entertaining review SKY of yet another NVIDIA card!!!

I'm looking forward to another gaming benchmark other than Crysis, though, as it just seems to be biased in Nvidias favor driver-wise. Maybe future games will also be NVIDIA optimized like this game so its not worth making that point?? Anyway, the 4870 2gb seems to under-line that its a driver rather than a memory related issue with the ATI 4870 card.

Anyway this card is great value although it reminds me of the over-clocked extra stream processor 8800GTS, which appeared around the same time as the 8800GT, and performed well in relation to the 8800GTX.

I'm not sure what they think they are doing by marketing products as having stream processors disabled and then magically enabling them a few months later for other similar products. Nice way to piss your customers off.

All in all very confusing times for NVIDIA. Although ATI minimum framerates???

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old September 16, 2008, 06:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Good review indeed, It makes me want to get one right now. But got to get a new case first.

Old September 16, 2008, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
I'm not sure what they think they are doing by marketing products as having stream processors disabled and then magically enabling them a few months later for other similar products. Nice way to piss your customers off.
It's always possible that they've begun to get better yields on their current process. Both Nvidia and ATI have been doing that sort of thing for awhile now; and it lets them sell a 2nd place card instead of premuim beachsand. But yeah, it can certainly be annoying at times.
Old September 17, 2008, 05:55 AM
Rookie

I am starting the hate the game of new products! I just got my GTX260 SC+ 2 weeks - 3 weeks ago at $269.99 CAD, two of them too... Now... The my old GTX260 will never sell to anyone else...
Old September 17, 2008, 10:26 AM
Allstar

thats what i hate about nvidia since the series 9 serie, even their serie 8 with the 8800GTS 320/640/512

they are talking older GPU (8800 all flavor and 8600) and they rename them has 9X00 card, but its the same gpu .... they always brigning new card with the same name, and compgnies add to mush suffix to their already confusing name.

remind me the war between 9000 ati card and those Geforce FX, newer card were always realsed to see if the top of the hill was gonna be red or green

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old September 19, 2008, 09:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ha.....:future-proof", I love that word and "Good luck with that"! Instead of getting all wrapped in what you have, just purchased and whats out thier, is how does your present GPU perform?
That is the real question and only you can provide the real answer, based upon:
1. Speed
2. Performance
3. OC ability
4. Temperatures
5. Cost
Not necessarily in that order mind you. ATI vs Nvidia is a battle that will keep both companies honest and on their toes, as a result, us, the consumers will always have a wide array of products to choose from at competative prices. Hey, remember when Nvidia was running away with the crown with the introduction of the 6800Ultra....remember the price!
For the most part (if you are prone to Nvidia as I am), you can get a "top of the line" GPU for no more than $500, to me that is sweet!

Internet Rumour - End of October = GTX 200 Series with 55nm processors.

Old September 19, 2008, 11:21 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Considering those who purchased 8800 GTX or 8800 Ultra cards are still able to game at extreme resolutions + high details, I would say that there IS such a think as future proof...to a certain extent.