Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 10, 2008, 07:35 PM
Rookie

Default Little Harddrive problem - xbox 360

Firstly, id like to say is that im aware that im asking for some help for my 360 even though hardwarecanucks is more computer oriented, just figured it wouldn't hurt to ask and too see if anyone was in the same predicament as me.

I recently bought a 360 and hooked up my external harddrive too it. (dont remember brand of hard drive, lost the box etc.) And i have the 360 updated to the latest patch. acquirable from the xbox site. (had to burn the update to a cd and install, no internet in the basement just yet)

Supposedly with this update, i would be able to watch movies/play music from my xbox through my external hard drive,(and/or stream it through the pc) whats confusing is that it is able to find my harddrive and search through folders BUT no videos are found or music in ANYWHERE. If i replug the external harddrive back into the pc, my music and movies are still all there.

The harddrive is already fat32 which is exactly what the 360 needs and i have no idea whats the problem is. Ive done research with google and i cant seem to come across anyone with my same problem.

I know my good friend is able watch movies via usb stick/external harddrive, but hes also connected to live which im guessing he must have some special update my xbox needs(like codecs for example) to play the movies i have?

If anyone has any helpful tips to maybe help me out in away way, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks UberMoo
Old September 10, 2008, 11:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

there is a specific update needed for divx files. you will have to move your 360 to somewhere you can get it online, and go to marketplace/all games/optional media update. its free so you can grab it without a pay (gold) account if you dont have one. i think you can also get it just by trying to play a movie file while your gamertag is signed in to live.