Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 9, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Video killed the audio star!?

I recently upgraded the video card in my girlfriend's PC from an ASUS 9600GSO TOP to an ASUS EAH4850. First off, I'd like to say that the video difference is astounding! This machine went from posting 5,800 on 3DMark06 to now hitting 10,500! So as far as the video is concerned it's great. However, after swapping the video cards, (following the standard rules of removing the old drivers, then installing the new card, etc.) I now only get sound from the left channel. The speakers on this are Altec Lansing 2-ways +self powered sub. The sound runs through the sub, and is then split off into the separate left and right speakers. I've checked all the cables and jacks, everything is plugged in correctly. Also, I've reinstalled the audio drivers, with no luck. What happened!?

A bit of info: I've never had audio issues with this setup before. It was working fine this afternoon just before I yanked the card and exchanged it for the new one. The audio is on-board on a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 board. I have the latest nForce drivers on the board. And the really odd thing is that, even though it's the left channel that's working, all the audio controls (volume, bass, treble) are mounted on the right speaker, and they're working just fine! And before anyone suggests it, the speaker isn't blown. the right casing actually houses 3 speakers; 2 tweats and a mid-range, so all 3 wouldn't die at once.

This is my first time running an ATI card, and I REALLY hope it won't continue to be this much trouble! I do have an odd question though; I know that I can't run crossfire on an SLI based board, but would an nForce board have issues running a single ATI card?

*Note* when I downloaded the HD4850 Catalyst drivers they wouldn't work for install, claiming it was incorrect hardware, (although there was no option for EAH4850 on the driver page) so I'm using the drivers that came on the disk. Driver version 8.500.0.0
Old September 9, 2008, 02:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

ATI cards have a built-in audio for the HDMI output. Have a look at your "sounds and audio devices" in control panel, you'll probably find that it's set for ati audio... change it back to whatever your standard audio is.

As far as the catalyst drivers go... maybe try it again now that you've installed the drivers which shipped with the card.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 9, 2008, 02:56 PM
Banned
F@H

ATI card has audio built-in(for HMDI connection), please ensure that this audio is not set to default!!

Heh. ^^^^that he said!
Old September 9, 2008, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My audio was still defaulted to onboard audio, but I disabled the drivers for the ATI sound just in case, and still no help =/
Old September 9, 2008, 03:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hrm......

Did you try re-installing the latest drivers for your on-board audio? Could be that the ati audio install did something funky to the settings.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 9, 2008, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I reinstalled the realtek drivers as one of my first troubleshooting steps... grrr so frustrating
Old September 9, 2008, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If I remove all the drivers and software that came with the machine and install ONLY the display drivers without the HDMI support/AVIVO codecs/etc., would I have any issues with the video card at all? Just wondering if the codecs and software are critical for running the card.
Old September 9, 2008, 03:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's definitely some form of interference with that hardware. Left channel is default MONO so when something goes wrong with audio and it goes to left channel only it's actually a breakdown in the STEREO Left/Right.

Uninstall all your motherboards/chipset software, your audio and video drivers, then run driver cleaner or something similar, then of course reboot and install everything from the ground up starting with your chipset drivers and do Audio drivers second last and video last.

In an audio environment this is VERY common on digital components/drivers for it to default to the mono (left) channel only when an error occurs. In a computer it's usually resolved by completely installing the system/chipset drivers all over again once the new video card has been installed.

I've even had this happen on digital recording consoles after a system flash.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old September 9, 2008, 07:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So I tried to uninstall all the drivers and reinstall from scratch, but my Realtek drivers now won't uninstall. I've tried to uninstall them through the control panel, device manager and via driver cleaner pro... but no success. I keep getting a generic '-500 error'. I've tried in normal and safe mode... same results both ways. Argh! Although there's progress... of a sorts... now I have NO sound at all...
Old September 9, 2008, 07:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah that's definitely a symptom of your problems for sure. You can try reinstalling AC97 drivers again until it works, then uninstalling.. sometimes that'll help.

Also try disabling your audio devices and then uninstalling.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.