Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 9, 2008, 12:30 PM
Rookie

Default Is My Computer Melting?

I hope that title might give this thread some attention.

Long story short, my computer fell off its stand (about a 1 ft fall) while I had a lot programs opened on it. Afterward It made plenty annoying beeping noises then it would crash. I had my friend look at it and he said the heatsink for my cpu was loose, he went into bios and turned off the auto shutdown and overheating warnings. At the time I was too ignorant to be questioning that action because I was happy to be able to get on my computer again.

It has been a week or so since then and I've tried to learn to basics about computer hardware since I knew absolutely nothing about this stuff before the incident. My duo core is idle at 75 degrees celcius and heats up to around 110 degrees when I watch any high resolution vids or try to play any games on it. Yesterday I learned that the internal & surface melting points for processors are 85 and 95 degrees. I'm pretty worried because I've watched quite a few vids and have been pretty ignorant of this problem.

Now what I am wondering is if I may have caused any severe damage to my motherboard or any other part of my PC by allowing my CPU to heat up like this?
Old September 9, 2008, 12:32 PM
Rookie

I've ordered the following:
NCIX.com - Buy Sunbeam Tuniq Tower 120 S754 S939 S940 S478 LGA775 Heatpipe Cooler 120MM Fan CPU Heatsink - T-120 In Canada. (my friend recommended it)

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=27784&vpn=BX80570E8400&manufacture=Intel (needed it for a few new games coming out that I want to play)

Considering I'm not working at the moment this was a big expense, I'm praying nothing else needs to be replaced.
Old September 9, 2008, 12:39 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Stay far from your friend next time... probably not much damage to the CPU, since the throttling should have kicked in and protected the chip.

Now, for your choice of components: you should have chosen the OCZ Vendetta II, instead of the Tuniq... but the E8400 is a very good choice.
Old September 9, 2008, 12:42 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Order a home vasectomy kit too and use it on your friend.
Old September 9, 2008, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

So your friend went to the effort of shutting down the temp warnings but not opening the case and pulling off the heat-sink-what a foolish fool of fools.

It only takes 5 minutes to re-seat a heat-sink following a wipe of the cpu with some rubbing alcohol and TIM application. Just do that and youll be fine.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old September 9, 2008, 01:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
It only takes 5 minutes to re-seat a heat-sink following a wipe of the cpu with some rubbing alcohol and TIM application. Just do that and youll be fine.
Ya what he said... obviously getting a better heatsink like others have said above would help more... but really all you need to do it re-seat the heatsink that you have now and your problems should go away... assuming that there is no other damage, but there shouldn't be.
Old September 9, 2008, 01:57 PM
Banned
F@H

Chances are there is no damage to anything from heat. The cpu will throttle and automatically shut down long before the point of damage...regardless of what's turned off in BIOS(very few boards support turning off TM2 features fully, assuming it's an intel combe were are talking about).

IF any damage occured, it happened from the fall.

That being said, not remounting the heatsink was totally foolish...unless that was done and there was some damage to the clips or retonstion socket, or whatever, depnding on what type of cpu you have.

Also, this partialyl dpendso n how you are reading temps..some programs are not right...that said though..those temps aren't right unless you like in africa!
Old September 9, 2008, 02:21 PM
Rookie

i appreciate the comments guys, i am very relieved to hear this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
this partially depends on how you are reading temps..some programs are not right...that said though..those temps aren't right unless you like in africa!
this is the program i use (keep in mind im pretty sure the auto shutdown is still disabled at the moment), if i put it back on im pretty sure it will just crash in the loading window.

Old September 9, 2008, 02:54 PM
Banned
F@H

Intel Core2 E4400?...nah, no damage to worry about, but yeah, definately re-install that heatsink!
Old September 9, 2008, 03:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yikes 80C at near idle?! I wouldn't be using the PC till you get it sorted out IMO.

Though you really didn't need to waste $250 on a new CPU and heatsink. As other have said, you just need to clean off the thermal paste and apply fresh thermal paste and it'll be good as new. Especially since you claim money is an issue. I'd cancel the order and try to get a full refund.