Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 7, 2008, 06:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default igfxsrvc.exe using 50% CPU

Hrm so I'm running the latest Intel drives for my X3100/GM965 on my Dell XPS m1330 with Vista Ultimate x64 (installed myself).

So the problem is, with the drivers installed, the CPU sits at 50% at idle. igfxsrvc.exe takes up about 40% and igfxpers.exe takes about 8%. If I uninstall the drives the CPU usages goes to 0.

Not really sure what to do, I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers and I tried using the ones off Dell's website but they don't work at all.

If it truely is using the CPU, that's going to definitely ruin my battery life as well...
Old September 7, 2008, 06:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Hrm so I'm running the latest Intel drives for my X3100/GM965 on my Dell XPS m1330 with Vista Ultimate x64 (installed myself).

So the problem is, with the drivers installed, the CPU sits at 50% at idle. igfxsrvc.exe takes up about 40% and igfxpers.exe takes about 8%. If I uninstall the drives the CPU usages goes to 0.

Not really sure what to do, I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers and I tried using the ones off Dell's website but they don't work at all.

If it truely is using the CPU, that's going to definitely ruin my battery life as well...
welcome to integrated chipsets. not a lot you can do.
Old September 7, 2008, 07:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
welcome to integrated chipsets. not a lot you can do.
lol I know, I hate 'em too but I didn't want prone-to-fail NVIDIA graphics either.

Well I disabled igfxpers.exe and that seemed to fix the problem. Didn't seem to have an ill effects...
Old September 7, 2008, 08:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

All though this is annoying...it should not be taking up 40% to 50% of your CPU that's a load of craptacularism. Usually the igfxpers.exe will only take that much resources for 10-25 seconds then one its loaded up it should go down.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old September 8, 2008, 09:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwestwell View Post
All though this is annoying...it should not be taking up 40% to 50% of your CPU that's a load of craptacularism. Usually the igfxpers.exe will only take that much resources for 10-25 seconds then one its loaded up it should go down.
Well it doesn't so I don't know whats wrong with it. Having it disabled solves the problems and I still see no ill effects so it'll stay that way.
Old September 8, 2008, 09:08 AM
Allstar
F@H

As long as you are able to still get decent graphics performance and movie playback out of it then hell yeah sure...but I scoured the net looking for solutions and even loaded my laptop with the current Intel drivers and I could not duplicate the issue however my Laptop is only running 32 bit home premium but the same chipset. I know you have disabled it but have you tried uninstalling the device entirely and deleting the drivers then go to install hardware manually and select the device and drivers.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old September 20, 2008, 04:24 PM
Rookie

I have the same problem in my Toshiba M305-S4820 running Windows Vista Home Premium 64bits. I am currently using intel drivers ver. 15.11.2. I know of, at least, other person with the same problem under the same circumstances, so this is a bug of the drivers. I am able to use the drivers deleting the igfxsrvc.exe and igfxsrvc.dll files, but i lost the graphics control panel functionality. How did you disable the process? Is the graphics control panel working fot you?
Old September 20, 2008, 04:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicocarbone View Post
I have the same problem in my Toshiba M305-S4820 running Windows Vista Home Premium 64bits. I am currently using intel drivers ver. 15.11.2. I know of, at least, other person with the same problem under the same circumstances, so this is a bug of the drivers. I am able to use the drivers deleting the igfxsrvc.exe and igfxsrvc.dll files, but i lost the graphics control panel functionality. How did you disable the process? Is the graphics control panel working fot you?
I used msconfig to stop igfxpers.exe from loading at startup. (Start > Run > msconfig)

Basically all that I lost was the automatic recognition when I plug in a monitor. I never touched igfxsrvc as that's not really the issue, at least for me.
Old September 20, 2008, 05:18 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Patch up your os with the latest .dot net and c++ runtimes, see if that helps.
Old September 20, 2008, 05:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I used msconfig to stop igfxpers.exe from loading at startup. (Start > Run > msconfig)

Basically all that I lost was the automatic recognition when I plug in a monitor. I never touched igfxsrvc as that's not really the issue, at least for me.
Please don't recommend using msconfig.

If you need to modify your startup components use something like Codestuff Startup