Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20, 2008, 05:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Please don't recommend using msconfig.

If you need to modify your startup components use something like Codestuff Startup
If you're going to suggest the best way to work with services, why not go to the source and suggest services.msc? (For XP at least... I don't know if it still works under Vista)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 20, 2008, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
If you're going to suggest the best way to work with services, why not go to the source and suggest services.msc? (For XP at least... I don't know if it still works under Vista)
Something like that isn't always a service.

If it is then yes thats the better way to approach it.
Old September 20, 2008, 06:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Please don't recommend using msconfig.

If you need to modify your startup components use something like Codestuff Startup
Uhh why? What's the difference?
Old September 20, 2008, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Uhh why? What's the difference?
Not paying attention to msconfig you could accidentally set it to become a diagnostic startup and make things not load properly.

I don't advise people who barely know what the "X" does to use things like msconfig.
Old September 20, 2008, 08:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Unchecking some stuff under the "Startup" tab isn't going to cause any serious issues and can be easily reverted if it does. Plus Windows automatically changes it to "Selective Startup" anyways. The user doesn't need to change any options on the "General" tab. It'd be quite the mistake to choose diagnostic startup and in which case, the person probably shouldn't be using a computer...
Old September 20, 2008, 08:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Unchecking some stuff under the "Startup" tab isn't going to cause any serious issues and can be easily reverted if it does. Plus Windows automatically changes it to "Selective Startup" anyways. The user doesn't need to change any options on the "General" tab. It'd be quite the mistake to choose diagnostic startup and in which case, the person probably shouldn't be using a computer...
Hence why I don't recommend it and recommend that other program I suggested. Its designed to do nothing more than help you clear out your startup programs ;) (why is there no wink smiley?)
Old September 21, 2008, 07:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

MSConfig often doesn't do the job correctly. Services.msc is the best way to manage your services as it gives you more control. My understanding is that using Services.msc will shut down those pesky ones that keep coming back after each startup no matter what you do with MSConfig.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 21, 2008, 10:27 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Services.msc only manages services, not stuff in your startup folder or your HKLM\software\microsoft\currentversion\run folder.

Not to mention that it is 50 times easier to screw up your system by turning off crucial services using that tool than it would using msconfig.
Old September 22, 2008, 10:09 AM
Rookie

I "solved" the problem disabling all startup programs related to Intel using TuneUp Utilities Startup manager. Now the drivers ar working ok, including the graphics control panel. I am not sure is this is related to a bug in the drivers or somehow the problem was related to my computer configuration and some conflict with the disabled startup programs.
Old November 12, 2008, 08:04 AM
Trial Member

Quote:
I used msconfig to stop igfxpers.exe from loading at startup. (Start > Run > msconfig)

Basically all that I lost was the automatic recognition when I plug in a monitor. I never touched igfxsrvc as that's not really the issue, at least for me.
Thanks -- that worked. I disabled all three "Intel(R) Common User Interface" items in Startup, and I had my CPU back! Yay! At first I tried disabling only two of them, and Windows didn't fully boot -- graphics didn't come up at all. But disable all three of them and you won't have to go into Safe Mode to recover (like I did).