Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Need help with 3870X2 CFX blank screen issue! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/9789-need-help-3870x2-cfx-blank-screen-issue.html)

Killswitch September 1, 2008 08:03 PM

Need help with 3870X2 CFX blank screen issue!

Ok, this has been smoking my brain for a while now and I need some opinions.

I recently dumped one of my 3870's and bought a 3870X2 from kruzn4evr for a tri-fire setup. :thumb:

Both of the cards I have now are Diamonds, and both work fine on their own. However, when I team them up in the box there is no video.......... SOMETIMES. :blarg:
The system is fully booting up though because I can hear the chimes when Vista starts.
At first I reset the bios and things seemed fine until I put all my settings back to the way they were. It turns out my 4gigs of G.Skill when OC'd is causing random BSOD's and freezing or crashing to the desktop during benchmarking with the 3870X2 and 3870. I put the ram back to stock settings and upped the multi on the 5000+ BE to keep 3.2GHz. Ok, seems good now right? Hell no! The ram timings have to be at stock AND their voltage needs to be at 2 volts too!

As everything is now, if I power up my machine and there's no video I have to power down, take one stick of ram out, power back up and BAM!!!!!! I have video and I can watch the POST. So then I just turn the computer off again, toss the stick of ram back in and everything is fine. Things are stable. I can play games, run benchies etc........

But anytime I turn off the computer or reboot, the problem may or may not come back. Most often IT DOES (about 98% of the time) and it's pissing me off!

So....... I know alot of people have laughed at the "marketing scheme" of SLI and Crossfire certified ram but I'm starting to think it's not a joke. The whole idea of it is, that it's SUPPOSED TO WORK! It's tested and proven. It's not intended to be "better" as most tend to think. Should I be looking at getting some CF Certified RAM or should I try something else first?

The current ram I have is: F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ

tzetsin September 3, 2008 06:28 AM

have you tried just running your system with 2 gigs, or even a single stick for a while and seeing if the problem stops for good? it could be that you just have one iffy stick of ram, have you ran memtest on this ram?

Killswitch September 9, 2008 06:32 PM

I tried everything dude and my ram seems to be mint.

After the system is sitting for a while it will boot up cold with no problems. Everytime I reboot after that the 3870X2's fan speed will fluctuate as though it keeps rebooting, and eventually the computer will boot up but with no video. If I keep hitting reset and screwing around the video and everything will work eventually but REALLY I don't like doing that. It's more then likely not good for any of the components, mostly the psu. Also........ it's just not right! lol

Right now I'm running the X2 ALONE and it works PERFECTLY as did the two regular 3870's in CF. :blarg: I'm able to do almost anything I want with the RAM in the bios. I have my CPU boosted up a tad and cranking out 3.3GHz right now too.

So...... I believe there's either a MAJOR video card bios conflict between the X2 and the regular 3870, or the motherboard is acting retarded intermitently with both cards installed, or the 3870X2 isn't liking the PCI-E slot when it's in x8 mode while in CF.

I'm not sure what to do now at this point :dots:

cadaveca September 9, 2008 07:52 PM

You need a new bios. The remapping for 4gb isn't working right, and the adapter is not intialized fast enough.

Killswitch September 9, 2008 08:18 PM

That makes sense, but I'm running the latest bios (F5c) and I even tried going back to a previous one (F4). Maybe I'm screwed?

cadaveca September 9, 2008 08:36 PM

For Tri-Fire, yes. You May want to try using the vga port on the 3870 though, and see how that works...:thumb: The problem is with the pci-E bridge chip causing the delay, AFAIK, so if the 3870 is the master, there should be no issues, as the 3870x2 should be reset by the driver when it loads on windows boot up.

But the 8x PCI-E only...you see, 3870 is PCI-E 2.0, but 3870x2 is not...which one is chosen may conflict with bios.

Killswitch September 9, 2008 09:42 PM

Hmmmm...... I put the 3870 back in, but in the top slot this time and the X2 in the bottom. Seems to be WAY better!!!!! I kinda feel like an idiot for not trying this already. LOL
The system did hesitate once when I was reinstalling the drivers. When rebooting the X2 fan fluctuated a few times but I waited patiently and after a few huffs and puffs it went. The other 5 times (or so) rebooting it was mint.

I was able to return to my OC settings in the bios with no problems this time also! :bananafunky: (I cleared the cmos before putting the 3870 back in.)

Thanks a ton cadaveca! :thumb: I'll report back either way if this keeps working for me or not.

Killswitch September 10, 2008 03:27 PM

Well so far this has been ok. But I do have one problem. I can't crank up the X2's fan with Riva Tuner. It seems that I can only access the master cards fan setting with Riva Tuner. I had the same deal when the cards were the other way around before (I couldn't crank up the reg 3870's fan).

Is there a different program I can use to tweak both fans or do I have to edit the X2's bios? I wouldn't mind trying that route since I might be able to make the speed ramp up more as the heat builds which will allow it to stay quiet when there's no load. I can also OC the card in the bios. But I hear it's a lot more involved to do then the regular 3870. Any suggestions?

cadaveca September 10, 2008 03:35 PM

Yes, if it is a reference card, then there is a visontek bios flasher that will update both bioses for you, with better fanspeeds, and I think 3D speeds 24/7(which I don't recommend unless the whole card is under water).

Killswitch September 10, 2008 07:18 PM

I looked up the info and this card has the right part number refered to in the Visiontek forums (even though it's a Diamond). So I dumped the bios with GPUz and opened it in RBE to double check the version...... and the previous owner already updated it.