Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2008, 01:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Red screen of death

Yea i think everybody knows what a blue screen is right? And i bet most of you also know about the red screen also. Well i haven't got any blue screens yet ( hurray!) but i got a few red screens ( Booo..). The red screens only happen when i play crysis. (BTW: i couldn't take a picture of it cause it happened and disappear very fast). I was thinking i was overheating my rig since i put High quality on crysis. Any help or advice will ne nice . I'll try to take a picture next time, im prepared with a camera at hand everytime i play a game.
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old August 30, 2008, 01:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well the red screens of death are the SAME as the BSOD, it only means that your system is posessed :) :) :)

Post those screenshots :)
Old August 30, 2008, 01:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar_ell View Post
Yea i think everybody knows what a blue screen is right? And i bet most of you also know about the red screen also. Well i haven't got any blue screens yet ( hurray!) but i got a few red screens ( Booo..). The red screens only happen when i play crysis. (BTW: i couldn't take a picture of it cause it happened and disappear very fast). I was thinking i was overheating my rig since i put High quality on crysis. Any help or advice will ne nice . I'll try to take a picture next time, im prepared with a camera at hand everytime i play a game.
any idea what temp your running?

"Be so good at what you do that you cant be ignored"

Old August 30, 2008, 02:39 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well when i play games my CPU is near 35-45C (yea.. im going to buy a OCZ vendetta 2 ASAP..) System is around the same. GPU is around 70-85C. Also i been trying to get a red screen, doesn't happen that often anymore. I mostly just get vista saying a display driver has stopped and i have to quit the game.
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old August 30, 2008, 02:46 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

That's not a temp problem, that a video driver problem. What are you using, and which driver set?
Old August 30, 2008, 02:47 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like the video cared. I don't see it in your sig... what kind is it? 70-85 should be in range (though really hot!), but if it is an ATI HD 4870 you can crank up the fan and bring that temp down a lot, for a bit of noise pollution.

Your CPU temps under load are just fine, no Vendetta 2 needed, but it would not harm anything. If anything I would say your vid card is gettiing hot and causing the problem. If it is an Nvidia you should be able to find a program like Rivatuner and crank the fan up to 100%. My G8800 GTX always ran hot, but fan at 100% is not loud on that card and the idle temps were down to low 50s. On my ATI HD 4870 the idle temps are high 40s at 35% fan speed. When folding the GPU is running 97% and the fan is set to 43% and the GPU runs about 54-55C.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old August 30, 2008, 02:47 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Asus 4850 and im using the catalyst 8.8, I heard the 8.7 performances better. If thats the case can i just uninstall it from my program list? or do i have to download some programs to remove everything? what tha.. its not in my sig.. man i must of been sleepy or something lol. Also my core temps show has 40-55.. im using HWmoniter. Is that a bad temp?
Old August 30, 2008, 02:50 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

For ATI fan control you can try the edit at this link:

So Who Wants Fan-Control for Their HD 4870 - Found a Workaround - Rage3D Discussion Area

I have to use the Manual setting but I have 3 profiles all running at different fan speeds and I just open CCC and select the profile I want. I would try that, though as someone above pointed out, the failure of the driver is the problem... what is causing it to fail, I don't know. Did you have trouble before you changed the drivers? Maybe change back and see what happens?
Old August 30, 2008, 02:53 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I never had previous versions of the driver since i got it recently. also does that 4870 guide apply also to the 4850?
Old August 30, 2008, 02:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I think the CCC is the same for all Radeon so it should work fine. I am not sure if ATITools works for controlling the fans on 4xxx cards yet.