Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2008, 11:00 AM
Rookie

Unhappy USPS destroyed my computer!! (Pics)

I purchased a gaming system several weeks ago from someone in the US. After weeks of waiting and more than $80 of customs tax I finally received it. Just in time for the long weekend!

I haven't had a gaming rig for 2 years.

It came in two seperate boxes, the first with the periphials and cords. The other with the enclosure. I spent last night carefully unwrapping my presents with glee. When I got to the hardware box my glee evaporated.

The box had looked a little "traveled" but I hadn't thought much of it. When I slid the Antec 900 out and turned it around to lay it on it's side I heard what sounded like a broken bottle sliding around inside. Hoping it was drunken kids outside that I had heard I proceeded to open the case...

Here are the specs BTW:

-ANTEC 900 GAMING CASE
-CD-RW/DVD-RW WITH LIGHTSCRIBE PRIMARY DRIVE
-ASUS M2N-SLI MOBO
-AMD ATHLONX2 6400+ 3.2 GHZ 64- BIT PROCESSOR (BLACK EDITION)
-4GB CORSAIR XMS2 DDR2 800MHZ (4X1GB PER STICK)
-ZALMAN CNPS9700NT CPU COOLER (NVIDIA EDITION)
-ARTIC SILVER THERMAL COMPOUND

-2 WESTERN DIGITAL RAPTOR 150GB HDDS

-2 XFX 8800GT GRAPHICS CARDS 512MB PER CARD, RUNNING SLI MODE
-CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER XTREME GAMER FATALITY EDITION SOUND CARD
-ULTRA X3 1000WATT MODULAR PSU

-RAZER TARANTULA GAMING KEYBOARD
-RAZER LACHESIS GAMING MOUSE
-RAZER EXACT MAT GAMING MOUSE PAD
-PLARONICS 770 GAMING HEADSET WITH MIC

And here are the pics:

Just opened

Yes that is my cpu

My heatsink is confused about how it should be mounted

One 8800GT managed to come out of the PCI port without unscrewing from the enclosure

The beaten down box

A sticker from CanPost that reads "We found this package damaged and/or open and have 'officially' repaired it"

Two pictures of my processor

Bent fins on the heatsink

They are bent to the point where the fan cannot move

And my empty socket :( (That almost sounds rude!)

ARGGH!!

Also I don't have a picture but the power cable on my master Raptor has torn out, splintering the back of the drive and the pins are still jammed inside the power cable. So I guess I will have to replace that as well. I'll need to get an OS now too as that was my boot disk.

So I contacted the seller and told him to file a claim with USPS (As I can't). Still waiting for a reply. This was Priority International Air, so it was the expensive shipping too.

I don't understand how it would get that banged up! I mean simply dropping it would break off the heatsink, bracket, and pop the cpu out? How did the HDD have its power cable torn out with enough force to break it unless someone actually had their hand in there, I mean the cable itself doesn't weigh enough for dropping it to do that.

The problem though is that I got a great deal on this system and insurance won't cover the replacement cost I would imagine.

Do you guys think it can be repaired? Obviously I can try popping the vidcard back in. Could I rebend the heatsink and cpu pins? I think the HDD is shot regardless.

If I have to replace I might like to get a intel cpu and run crossfire. What are good value options for this? Can I get a board that will run an intel processor and two 8800GT's in SLI until I get two ATI's? What it run both in 16x?

Any help would be appreciated guys, I am kinda in a rough place here,

Thanks
Old August 30, 2008, 11:21 AM
Rookie

Holy shit! that sucks..

It should be covered by priority shipping insurance. Any reason why you used usps? I used to ship a lot of goods and I eventually used fedex only because of many problems encountered with ups and others over the years, the extra price justified the handling and service they offered.

It can easily get that banged up if thrown around, Ive seen some shippers throw and kick fragile boxes around with a certain company, though your looks really extreme like it fell out of the a truck at high speed.
Old August 30, 2008, 11:59 AM
MVP

My System Specs

holly that's why there called UPS btw (aka oops service i hate them)
Old August 30, 2008, 12:06 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

that really really sucks...
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old August 30, 2008, 12:14 PM
Allstar

Holy crap ...

I feel for you man ...
Old August 30, 2008, 12:16 PM
Rookie

he said united states postal service not ups
Old August 30, 2008, 12:23 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Ouch! I feel your pain...it looks like somebody went postal on your system!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 30, 2008, 12:26 PM
Allstar

Jesus, that's horrible. I can almost feel your pain. I hope you get some kind of compensation from usps.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old August 30, 2008, 12:51 PM
MVP
F@H

Holy crap!

Somethings a foot me thinks.
Old August 30, 2008, 01:28 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

That SUCKS

Every move that made, it probably got thrown or kicked, looking at the damage. Then again the sender could have packed it better, stuffing the interior with bubble wrap, and wrapping the exterior with non-descript brown paper, to hide the potential contents, maybe something that says FRAGILE.