Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 25, 2008, 09:11 PM
Rookie

Default New build troubleshooting

Ok, so I built a new PC and it is my first so I could have easily made a few mistakes, the components are as follows:
Asus P5QL-PRO motherboard
E8400
Gskill-2X2GB Ram(compatible with mobo)
BFG 9600GT OC
Antec 500W earthwatts
320 GB seagate HDD
SH-3203N Samsung disk drive

My problems are that when it boots up, it powers on for a couple seconds, powers down, then powers back on and stays on. I get no picture from my monitor. The monitor is an older CRT monitor so I use the DVI to VGA adapter with the 9600GT. I made sure it was on tight and I checked all the cabling inside many times, the disk drive works fine. What could the problem be? I really hope it is nothing major. Due to no video I think that it must be a video card and or monitor problem, but the power thing troubles me as well. Right now I am at point where there is nothing more I can try, is there something special with the motherboard I failed to do or something? Please respond with any advice.

Old August 25, 2008, 09:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

couple things...

are you getting post beep?

try it with nothing on the mobo cept one stick of ram, the g card an the proc, remove the hd and the dvd drive

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old August 25, 2008, 09:22 PM
Rookie

I get no shounds at all, what is the point of starting without an HDD or Disk Drive? I'll try your method and hope it works. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old August 25, 2008, 09:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

the point to starting without that stuff is to simply see if it will start. you can still boot to bios without those things, and when troubleshooting no post problems, the fewer items trying to run on the mobo the better.

make sure to remove any pci cards (except the video card) as well.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old August 25, 2008, 10:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just had pretty much the same problem. Upon examination, one of the clips that holds the ram in had fallen down out of position and one stick was not properly seated. Reseated the stick and back to normal. I think it might be caused by the front door on my P182 and not closing it gently (the magnet kinda slams it shut). Just an idea for ya.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old August 26, 2008, 12:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterTrooper View Post
Ok, so I built a new PC and it is my first so I could have easily made a few mistakes, the components are as follows:
Asus P5QL-PRO motherboard
E8400
Gskill-2X2GB Ram(compatible with mobo)
BFG 9600GT OC
Antec 500W earthwatts
320 GB seagate HDD
SH-3203N Samsung disk drive

My problems are that when it boots up, it powers on for a couple seconds, powers down, then powers back on and stays on. I get no picture from my monitor. The monitor is an older CRT monitor so I use the DVI to VGA adapter with the 9600GT. I made sure it was on tight and I checked all the cabling inside many times, the disk drive works fine. What could the problem be? I really hope it is nothing major. Due to no video I think that it must be a video card and or monitor problem, but the power thing troubles me as well. Right now I am at point where there is nothing more I can try, is there something special with the motherboard I failed to do or something? Please respond with any advice.
At this point your best bet is to find a pc speaker to hook up (should have either come with your case or motherboard.

This will allow you to hear any post beeps.

Once that is done then pull everything off the board except the cpu and ram and try to start it.

Also make sure you have the full 24 pins being used on the motherboard and a 8 pin or minimum 4 pin ATX plugged in as well.
Old August 26, 2008, 07:54 PM
Rookie

I went through and redid everything and I just have to hook it up again. I noticed I forgot to mount the MOBO on those screws. Could this have been the problem? Could this have possibly damaged anything since the MOBO wasn't mounted when I turned it on to test it? I am a bit worried that maybe I damaged something. Anyway, I plan to test it soon, and will let you know about the results, if not I will remove everything but the processor, vid card and a stick of ram and start from there.
Old August 26, 2008, 08:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If you mean that you forgot to install the brass stand offs in the case then it could be a bad thing. The stand offs keep the actual circuits off of the metal and stop short circuits. They also provide a solid ground to the case. Take the MB out, install the stand offs, install the MB and pray that somehow protection circuits protected the MB.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old August 26, 2008, 09:04 PM
Rookie

I put in the standoffs and tried two startups with the same results as previous. It powers up for a few seconds(maybe 5 or a bit more) then powers off then powers back on. It fails to post and the monitor doesn't even turn on. I tried with everything installed then with only one stick of ram, vid card and processor. Any other ideas, or is my MOBO or something else fried?
Old August 26, 2008, 09:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

No POST is usually one of 3 things. Power Supply, CPU or Motherboard. If you have a spare PSU you can eliminate that by a quick replacement. Sometimes the reboot sequence is the BIOS doing a reset recovery, but I think you get a beep with that. With a new build you could send the CPU and MB back as possible DOAs if you can prove the PSU is good.

Good Luck!
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop