Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   No SLI option (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/9592-no-sli-option.html)

tzetsin August 23, 2008 10:24 PM

No SLI option

1 Attachment(s)
I've got no SLI option in my nvidia control panel. I think i've done all the simple things there are to do to try and fix it, reinstalled drivers, reinstalled operating system, updated OS, kicked computer box.... still no option. both gpus work, i can use both cards while using multiple displays, but i cant do sli. these are dual gpu cards so i have 4 gpus, so even if i only have one installed i "should" have the sli option. when i had vista installed SLI was an option and it worked, but i cant span my monitors with vista because vista sucks ass, and now i'm back to xp.... again... So, no sli... any ideas?

Attachment 2713

Rig is in the sig, left side.

darkorb August 24, 2008 02:34 PM

how many monitors connecteD?

you have to disable SLI to get multi monitors.

try with just 1

MpG August 24, 2008 04:33 PM

Yeah, I don't think they've fixed that issue yet, unless the latest set of drivers is different - no multi-monitor with SLI.

Another possibility: Is Quad-SLI an option on Windows XP? I know QuadFire needs Vista, but is it the same for Nvidia?

tzetsin August 24, 2008 04:47 PM

a gs2 is 2 gpus in one, even with just a single card in i should have an sli option and i dont, with both cards in, 4 gpus, still no sli option, with only a single monitor hooked up or two no matter, i havnt seen an sli option at all since i installed xp. even if i have dual monitors on, i should at least have the option to turn on or off sli.

kruzn4evr August 24, 2008 05:02 PM

Do you have the latest NVidia control panel software? The GX2 acts as 1 GPU not 2, installing 2 GX2's do not act as 4 GPU's although they show that way. Do you have them installed in PCI-E slots 1 and 3?...they only work in SLI installed in those slots with the SLI bridge attached. You also have to go into the Bios and make SLI "enabled", I don't have my rig running right now and I can't remember exactly which screen it is in but you can't miss it. Also, SLI does not work with multiple monitors to the best of my knowledge although I've never tried with mine but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. SLI works fine with Vista or XP so that isn't the issue.

If you go to EVGA's web site forums you'll find all the answers there for sure.

tzetsin August 24, 2008 05:13 PM

you can use multiple monitors if you go into the nvidia control panel and disable SLI. I had this exact settup working properly in vista 64, till i found out that nview doesnt work with vista (i span two 22 inch monitors while playing fsx and fsx is pretty much the ONLY thing i use this pc for, so if i cant span monitors its useless to me NOTE: i know that i cant span monitors while using SLI, but on top of the no sli function i have no span function either, so im hoping that whatever is causing the no SLI problem is also causeing the no span option problem.)

kruzn4evr August 24, 2008 05:20 PM

Did you enable SLI in the bios?.....and maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the control panel software from nvidia's site instead of the CD, I have had a problem in the past when just installing from CD

b1lk1 August 24, 2008 05:34 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if XP was not able to SLI those cards at all hence no SLI option.

enaberif August 24, 2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1lk1 (Post 82635)
I wouldn't be surprised if XP was not able to SLI those cards at all hence no SLI option.

Isn't putting those cards into SLI a Vista thing? Like the Crossfire thing for Vista?

kruzn4evr August 24, 2008 05:37 PM

I've never had a problem with SLI using Vista or XP, built 10 or 12 rigs so far and haven't had any issues