Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2008, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default No POST

Motherboard won't POST.

After I got all my water cooling stuff installed, leak tested, I decided to finally connect all the necessary psu cables. Turned it on, no post. Powered it down, and removed both sticks of RAM, booted with the usual no RAM beeps, then put 1 stick of RAM, no POST. Took out video card to see if it gives the beeps of no video card, it won't.

I tried one more time booting with no RAM, no luck. I took out BIOS battery and reset CMOS, powered no POST.

This was a board that came back from an RMA, the previous one the RAM slots seemed to have died, so I got another board. Its an Asus p5n32 e-sli 680i, as you know 680i boards have this issue of just giving up on things whenever it feels like, I thought it was the memory sticks, tried a different set still no POST. Unfortunately I don't have another LGA775 board to test the RAM.

One question, does the motherboard even turn on if there is no processor (or a bad processor). Well I was going to buy another board but few weeks later, I'll try all your suggestions before buying a new one. Thanks.
Old August 20, 2008, 07:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Motherboard won't POST.

After I got all my water cooling stuff installed, leak tested, I decided to finally connect all the necessary psu cables. Turned it on, no post. Powered it down, and removed both sticks of RAM, booted with the usual no RAM beeps, then put 1 stick of RAM, no POST. Took out video card to see if it gives the beeps of no video card, it won't.

I tried one more time booting with no RAM, no luck. I took out BIOS battery and reset CMOS, powered no POST.

This was a board that came back from an RMA, the previous one the RAM slots seemed to have died, so I got another board. Its an Asus p5n32 e-sli 680i, as you know 680i boards have this issue of just giving up on things whenever it feels like, I thought it was the memory sticks, tried a different set still no POST. Unfortunately I don't have another LGA775 board to test the RAM.

One question, does the motherboard even turn on if there is no processor (or a bad processor). Well I was going to buy another board but few weeks later, I'll try all your suggestions before buying a new one. Thanks.
NO processor = no life.

680i bad garbage.
Old August 20, 2008, 07:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
NO processor = no life.

680i bad garbage.
Off course I know that, it would have been nice of you would have helped or suggested something to try, rather than to post something random.
Old August 20, 2008, 07:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Off course I know that, it would have been nice of you would have helped or suggested something to try, rather than to post something random.
I did.

No cpu = no life.

You'll need at least a cpu in that to see if anything happens.
Old August 20, 2008, 08:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I did.

No cpu = no life.

You'll need at least a cpu in that to see if anything happens.
Right and if you read properly I asked a side question which was if the system would work with no cpu, I know that too, I was just confirming. There is a cpu in there, I never mentioned there was no cpu connected, so any help?
Old August 20, 2008, 08:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Right and if you read properly I asked a side question which was if the system would work with no cpu, I know that too, I was just confirming. There is a cpu in there, I never mentioned there was no cpu connected, so any help?
if the cpu is socketed and speaker is plugged in and you get no beeps you have either a dead mobo or dead cpu.
Old August 20, 2008, 09:38 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Not that you want to hear this right after installing your water goodness, but pull the board outta the box, place on inslated surface and retry the test. 1 stick of ram, a pci vid card, an old style keyboard (not usb) and an old style mouse. There should be a speaker in your box so even if your sound card isnt in it will still beep if you plug those wire in.
Old August 20, 2008, 10:20 PM
Allstar

Shredder beat me to it. I was going to suggest you check for a short to the case. :buggrin:
Old August 21, 2008, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Shredder, Nyte.. no luck :(.. tried posting outside the board, even took the mounting hardware out from the board just in case it was shorting board, no back plate either.. I replaced cpu too, same thing board powered but no POST. But I talked to a local hardware store, gonna take both the Mobo and RAM sticks for them to test it out, they say its no charge, and they can do it instant. That way I know if its the board or not.

And since last time it took Asus way too long to send me a new board, first they send me a bad board (Which was the first RMA board), then I send them the board back is when I got another replacement. What I fail to understand is that, when the board came, I tested it, it worked at that time, the first time I booted the board after installing all water cooling stuff it didn't boot, then it booted when I was troubleshooting and tried without RAM, immediately I turned off system and put in RAM and tested it, and it won't boot after that. That makes no sense to me.

Do you think if I ask Asus to send me another board if I paid the difference they would do that. Anyways, I will visit the store on Saturday.