Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2008, 11:13 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Moving a PC

I'm getting to move to London ont. for college. I thus need to move my computer there. I'm shipping it with Greyhound (fair price, decent carefulness). I was wondering, if I just pull out the hard drive and pack the whole thing in the box the case came in, would that be enough to ship it safely. seems like once the moving parts are out, no real damage can happen, barring a serious f*** up on greyhound's part. Advice? thanks, guys
Asus p5K-E Wifi/AP / Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 / 2GB Crucial BallistiX DDR2 1066 / eVGA 8800 GTS 512mb / Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 / Razer Barracuda audio / Seageate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB / PC Power&Cooling Silencer 750w
Old August 20, 2008, 11:17 AM
Allstar
F@H

The one thing I would worry about, is if I had a heavy CPU Heatsink installed.
The extra bouncing around would put extra pressure on the motherboard around the CPU area.
Old August 20, 2008, 11:18 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

The hard drive removal is a good idea, but I would go a step further and remove any heavy video card/ heatsink hanging off your motherboard. One bad speed bump a *crack* goes your motherboard. Alternatively, if you can find some foam (softish, not hard) push it between the bottom of the case and the video card and between the back of the video card and your heavy heatsink (if yours is heavy). That should help prevent any unwanted stress to the motherboard.

EDIT: DK2 beat me to it
Old August 20, 2008, 11:24 AM
Top Prospect

My only concern would be if you have an aftermarket cooler on the CPU. Some of those things are tall and heavy. The added stress on the MB could be an issue. If you don't want to remove it, then it would be a good thing to try and stabilize it. Not sure what you could use though... foam?

:edit:LOL.. me too. At least it's a common thought/concern... hehe
Old August 20, 2008, 11:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

packing peanuts! fill your case.

done.
Old August 20, 2008, 11:28 AM
Banned
F@H

Heh I click "post", and was beat to it!

I would fill the pc full of packing peanuts, then put the side on, and palce in orginal box, and fill any open areas in the box with packing nuts as well. Then I would insure for full purchase value for replacement parts...
Old August 20, 2008, 11:31 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
packing peanuts! fill your case.

done.
HaHaHa!! yea.. that's the easy way. I want to see pictures of that.. before and after. Those things are wicked cool. If you do use them.. make sure you get all the peanuts and pieces out.. wouldn't want to have a small piece trapped in the PSU fan.
Old August 20, 2008, 11:33 AM
Allstar
F@H

Shipping with Greyhound? You mean they will put the computer in those lower containers? The ones that are 4 inch over the road? Then I would pack the computer with a lot packing peanuts and try to put some styrofoam around the case and plastic wrap it.

But that just because I really care about my computer. Or you could carry your computer in your arms the whole travel :P
CPU Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Memory Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX
Old August 20, 2008, 11:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chos3n View Post
Shipping with Greyhound? You mean they will put the computer in those lower containers? The ones that are 4 inch over the road? Then I would pack the computer with a lot packing peanuts and try to put some styrofoam around the case and plastic wrap it.

But that just because I really care about my computer. Or you could carry your computer in your arms the whole travel :P
Greyhound Courier :P
Old August 20, 2008, 11:51 AM
Allstar
F@H

packing peanuts? thats a good idea, cept the cleanup.
another thing you could try is bubble wrap, roll up sheets of it and pack it in around everything
and use bits and pieces to make it nice and tight.

If it was me and I was taking it that far; I'd remove the heatsink and videocard
and anything else that could flop around and pack it separately and reassemble
later. If your confident to do that....