Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 18, 2008, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default BSOD error

Ok guys tried to access my 4 hdd's in RAID after 3 months (when it was in working condition)..

I get a BSOD 0x0000007b, which seems to be some hard drive problem. So I tried repairing windows, no luck, Recover Console: fixboot, fixmbr and also did a chkdsk /r with no luck either. Then I re-installed windows over top still get the BSOD.

Can't even boot to safe mode. Only reason i'm accessing that RAID array is because I am trying to backup my existing data, software, music etc. Is there anyway I could save all that info or even a backup on another hdd without booting to windows. I could connect another SATA 500GB hard drive.

Thanks.
Old August 18, 2008, 11:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

fastest way would be to download a live copy of Ubuntu, or maby damn small linux, then access the drive from there if they are able

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old August 18, 2008, 11:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
fastest way would be to download a live copy of Ubuntu, or maby damn small linux, then access the drive from there if they are able
Yep...that's what i do...i use Knoppix usually.
Old August 19, 2008, 12:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Ok guys tried to access my 4 hdd's in RAID after 3 months (when it was in working condition)..

I get a BSOD 0x0000007b, which seems to be some hard drive problem. So I tried repairing windows, no luck, Recover Console: fixboot, fixmbr and also did a chkdsk /r with no luck either. Then I re-installed windows over top still get the BSOD.

Can't even boot to safe mode. Only reason i'm accessing that RAID array is because I am trying to backup my existing data, software, music etc. Is there anyway I could save all that info or even a backup on another hdd without booting to windows. I could connect another SATA 500GB hard drive.

Thanks.
That Error # means a file system problem.

Are you running the same board as before taking down the RAID array?
Old August 19, 2008, 05:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
That Error # means a file system problem.

Are you running the same board as before taking down the RAID array?
The board the RAID was in last was a p5n32e-sli 680i board, but the BSOD was on a a8n32 sli (which I used when I started using RAID), when I switched board from the a8n32 to a 680i, I had to do nothing at all, just plug in hdds in new board, and it picked it up. So thats why I tried it on a different board. But even if it is a file system error, I reinstalled windows, which should have fixed it.

Well I'll put an extra SATA (which already has windows) and boot with it, to see if it detects the RAID drive letter in windows, if it does well and good. If not I'll try a Linux distro. Well first time I lost 500gb worth of stuff (backup) from windows, when I plugged it in, and for some reason it was formatting it quitely. This time its something else.. wow.
Old August 19, 2008, 01:46 PM
Allstar

What level RAID? If you used the on-board fake-raid and windows drivers you may not be able to mount the array under another OS, or using a motherboard with a different type of controller/driver set. I'm guessing that the controller/driver combo on those two motherboards you already successfully moved it between are either the same or very close or the array would likely be unreadable. Indeed if it worked on the other board and doesn't work on this one that may indeed be the problem. The only truly "portable" RAID arrays are those done in hardware, and those done entirely in software where you can move the array from machine to machine so long as it's the same basic OS.

Fake-raid is, unfortunately, a hybrid with all the shortcomings of it's parents and few of their virtues.

Last edited by NyteOwl; August 19, 2008 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Correcting typos.
Old August 20, 2008, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Let's call it a day, and say the data will never be recovered. To say the least while I was troubleshooting drives pulling them out and plugging them back in, one of them smoked, I saw smoke coming out, turned off the system right away. It looked like since out of the 4 hard drives, the 2 that were connector using the same SATA power connector, the one that was toasted also took out the other one too.

Oh well!!.. Thanks for any comments.
Old August 20, 2008, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Let's call it a day, and say the data will never be recovered. To say the least while I was troubleshooting drives pulling them out and plugging them back in, one of them smoked, I saw smoke coming out, turned off the system right away. It looked like since out of the 4 hard drives, the 2 that were connector using the same SATA power connector, the one that was toasted also took out the other one too.

Oh well!!.. Thanks for any comments.
Ahhh man, what a bummer. I guess that may have been the reason for the file-system error, to begin with.
Old August 20, 2008, 02:54 PM
Allstar

Ouch :( That dern smoke. once you let it out the thing never works right again.
Old August 20, 2008, 03:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

ouch! I feel your pain brother... i once formatted a full 500 gig external drive instead of the usb drive i wanted too... lol at least this wasnt your fault heh.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0