Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 11, 2008, 07:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default No 2nd monitor

I just got a 9800 GX2, and i cannot seem to get my 2nd monitor to work. I've restarted my pc a few times. It can see the monitor and everything. Except, when i click extend my desktop onto this monitor and hit apply, it just stays at 1 monitor... any ideas?
Old August 11, 2008, 08:16 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Are you in clone mode? Maybe the second monitor can not handle the same resolution of the first. Make sure you are in Dualview mode.

Does the lite (back or pilot) on the second monitor do anything when you tell it to extend?
Old August 11, 2008, 08:28 PM
Rookie

Unhappy

By default that card runs in SLI mode. SLI doesn't support multiple monitors. You have to change the GPU mode (I can't remember what Nvidia calls it). Sadly this means your fancy new card will only use a single GPU if you enable multiple monitors - at least that's the way it was with my 7950GX2).
Old August 11, 2008, 10:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

no way :( if thats true.. UG that'll suck so bad.
Old August 12, 2008, 04:49 AM
MVP

I'm pretty sure that's still accurate, there have been rumours of newer drivers giving multi-monitor support with SLI, but I don't think anything real has come down the pipes yet.

That alone makes SLI a huge hassle if I were to run it, needing to enable/disable it and re-setup my monitors EVERY SINGLE TIME I want to play a game.
Old August 12, 2008, 05:09 AM
MVP
F@H

That was my issue when I first got Crossfire - is this still an issue with the ATI cards or do they have multi-gpu support with crossfire?

C2Q Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3p | Q8400 @ 2.66ghz | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w. Scythe | Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 5-5-5-15-2T @ 400mhz |
BFG GTX 295 | 1.32TB WD HDDs | Corsair HX 620 W | Antec 900 | Acer 20" LCD
Old August 12, 2008, 11:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

If yah wanna run dual monitors , buy a cheep 2nd card.It really does work better that way.

Old August 12, 2008, 11:48 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
If yah wanna run dual monitors , buy a cheep 2nd card.It really does work better that way.

I'm pretty much exclusively on dual monitors, and it's been years since I've noticed much difference in running dual monitors on a single card or on multiple cards, in the vast majority of situations situations.

However, 1 dual dvi card + 1 cheap PCI card = triple monitor support. :)
Old August 12, 2008, 12:47 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Although it kinda defeats the purpose of having dual gpu's you can disable the second one, which will enabled dual monitors...rumor has it they will be finally providing drivers to support dual monitors on SLI sometime before the end of the year.
Old August 12, 2008, 05:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

that would be good. HOwever, i do have a question. I have a crossfire motherboard, and an nvidia GPU *9800gx2 ovbiously* what kind of card can/do i put in there?

edit: Now when i try to open vent, it goes to where my 2nd monitor was. But i don't have a 2nd monitor, so i can't click it or move it or anything. wtf?! any ideas?

Last edited by Phobia; August 12, 2008 at 10:33 PM.