Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   No 2nd monitor (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/9281-no-2nd-monitor.html)

Phobia August 11, 2008 08:58 PM

No 2nd monitor

I just got a 9800 GX2, and i cannot seem to get my 2nd monitor to work. I've restarted my pc a few times. It can see the monitor and everything. Except, when i click extend my desktop onto this monitor and hit apply, it just stays at 1 monitor... any ideas?

Jack Rabbit August 11, 2008 09:16 PM

Are you in clone mode? Maybe the second monitor can not handle the same resolution of the first. Make sure you are in Dualview mode.

Does the lite (back or pilot) on the second monitor do anything when you tell it to extend?

Tyinsar August 11, 2008 09:28 PM

By default that card runs in SLI mode. SLI doesn't support multiple monitors. You have to change the GPU mode (I can't remember what Nvidia calls it). Sadly this means your fancy new card will only use a single GPU if you enable multiple monitors - at least that's the way it was with my 7950GX2).

Phobia August 11, 2008 11:41 PM

no way :( if thats true.. UG that'll suck so bad.

Mars August 12, 2008 05:49 AM

I'm pretty sure that's still accurate, there have been rumours of newer drivers giving multi-monitor support with SLI, but I don't think anything real has come down the pipes yet.

That alone makes SLI a huge hassle if I were to run it, needing to enable/disable it and re-setup my monitors EVERY SINGLE TIME I want to play a game.

Mr. Cipher August 12, 2008 06:09 AM

That was my issue when I first got Crossfire - is this still an issue with the ATI cards or do they have multi-gpu support with crossfire?

BrainEater August 12, 2008 12:39 PM

If yah wanna run dual monitors , buy a cheep 2nd card.It really does work better that way.

:thumb:

Mars August 12, 2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrainEater (Post 78589)
If yah wanna run dual monitors , buy a cheep 2nd card.It really does work better that way.

:thumb:

I'm pretty much exclusively on dual monitors, and it's been years since I've noticed much difference in running dual monitors on a single card or on multiple cards, in the vast majority of situations situations.

However, 1 dual dvi card + 1 cheap PCI card = triple monitor support. :)

probationer August 12, 2008 01:47 PM

Although it kinda defeats the purpose of having dual gpu's you can disable the second one, which will enabled dual monitors...rumor has it they will be finally providing drivers to support dual monitors on SLI sometime before the end of the year.

Phobia August 12, 2008 06:21 PM

that would be good. HOwever, i do have a question. I have a crossfire motherboard, and an nvidia GPU *9800gx2 ovbiously* what kind of card can/do i put in there?

edit: Now when i try to open vent, it goes to where my 2nd monitor was. But i don't have a 2nd monitor, so i can't click it or move it or anything. wtf?! any ideas?