Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13, 2008, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

If you re enable your SLI your vent should show up on the default monitor, while there open vent, then close it again. the reason its opening in the second monitor now is because that is where it was the last time you opened it and closed it. If your thinking about getting a second card, and you have more than one pc (or a laptop) you might want to check this little guy out...

NCIX.com - Buy EVGA UV Plus USB to DVI-I/VGA Adapter USB2.0 Up to 1400X1050 Resolution - 100-U2-UV12-A1 In Canada.

At least you'll have a more usefull (and mobile) second "video" card.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old August 13, 2008, 06:55 PM
Rookie

Sorry to have been the bearer of bad news. Hopefully you'll like this post a little better.

The cheapest way to add multi-monitor support to that card - while still using both GPUs is (as others have said) with a second video card. Be aware though that when in SLI mode Nvidia's drivers disable all but one output. However they don't control ATI cards so a cheap ATI card should fit the bill nicely. If you're on XP this should work fine but I hear Vista had issues with two different sets of drivers loaded.

Another way is with Matrox's Triple Head 2 Go (just make sure you get the digital version). Sadly that is quite costly, all monitors have to have the same resolution, and it causes other challenges (Many games have issues). The good news is that now the max res per monitor is 1680x1050 (with the latest firmware).

As for windows poping up offscreen try a little program called GridMove. I love that program on my TH2G.

Last edited by Tyinsar; August 13, 2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old August 14, 2008, 12:41 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
edit: Now when i try to open vent, it goes to where my 2nd monitor was. But i don't have a 2nd monitor, so i can't click it or move it or anything. wtf?! any ideas?
I prefer to install as little software on my computer as possible. Here is a trick for getting access to many off screen windows. I do not use Ventrillo so it may not work if the window is not a standard API window but this is good to know.

1. Click on the task bar icon to set focus to the window you want.
2. Hold Alt and press space.
3. Press 'M'.
4. Do not move the mouse. Hold the appropriate arrow key to move the window onto the screen.
5. When enough of the window is visible that you can grab it with your mouse press Enter.

Alt-space opens the Window menu; the one you get when you click on the icon in the top left hand corner of a window. Try it on a visible window. 'M' is the shortcut for move. You can use the mouse to move the window but it is very hard to do blind so I stick to the arrow keys.
Old August 14, 2008, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

thanks guys. I currently have my sli disabled, so i have 2 monitors. however i would like to get it back up agian. I still have my 8800gts in my loop, its sitting on my 9800gx2. I don't have any more coolant xp so i don't want to drain my loop :P So, theres no way an 8800gts and 9800gx2 would work, correct? :( How about my 9600GT would that work?
Old August 14, 2008, 09:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you have two physical 16 lane slots any two video cards should work. You will not get SLI/CF. The second card should be independent. Plug it in and give it a shot.
Old August 16, 2008, 12:43 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
I prefer to install as little software on my computer as possible. Here is a trick for getting access to many off screen windows. ...
Agreed. However, on larger screens I found Grid-Move well worth the install. Either way the solution you outlined is a great start. If it does the job then it's great and there is no need for my way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
thanks guys. I currently have my sli disabled, so i have 2 monitors. however i would like to get it back up agian. ... So, theres no way an 8800gts and 9800gx2 would work, correct? :( How about my 9600GT would that work?
You're welcome.
While any two cards should work I think the Nvidia drivers will still disable the outputs on any other Nvidia card as soon as you try to use the second GPU on your GX2. At least this is what I've read - I haven't tried it since I traded away my 7950GX2. Nvidia has promised to fix this but that dish hasn't been served yet.

I may have missed this but are you running Vista or XP?
Old August 16, 2008, 01:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i have both on my pc, but mainly xp.
Old August 16, 2008, 07:41 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyinsar View Post
Agreed. However, on larger screens I found Grid-Move well worth the install. Either way the solution you outlined is a great start. If it does the job then it's great and there is no need for my way.
It is also handy to know when you are not using your computer and get stuck with a lost window.

Another window management utility with a slightly different spin is zestant utilities - reSizer - Manage windows from the keyboard and kill the mouse . It also helps move windows around with hot-keys but does not have the grid concept.