Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 9, 2008, 01:09 PM
Top Prospect

Default Problem trying to get 'Read Only' file not Read only!

I have a game and my disc is getting badly damaged and I am trying to apply a No DVD Crack so I don't have to put the disk in every time I want to play it. But It says "make sure disk is not write protected or full Blah Blah" Every time I try to copy the Crack to the proper directory. So I went into Properties of Said folder and it is it 'Read Only', So I click it so it is not Read only anymore, Hit apply. Then As soon as I open it again it is "Read Only" Again. What can I do to bypass this problem.
I am running Win XP 32 Bit BTW.
Please help me as I don't want to have to replace this disc again. I have not had this problem doing this to other games, So why this one?
Thank you
System spec: Intel i7 2600k, Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock, Kingston DDR3 2X4 GB sticks, ASUS P8P67 PRO, Cooler Master 700 watt PSU, 750GB*2 Sata,SATA III 1TB HDD Acer 24 Widescreen, Antec 300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Old August 9, 2008, 02:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwickbill View Post
I have a game and my disc is getting badly damaged and I am trying to apply a No DVD Crack so I don't have to put the disk in every time I want to play it. But It says "make sure disk is not write protected or full Blah Blah" Every time I try to copy the Crack to the proper directory. So I went into Properties of Said folder and it is it 'Read Only', So I click it so it is not Read only anymore, Hit apply. Then As soon as I open it again it is "Read Only" Again. What can I do to bypass this problem.
I am running Win XP 32 Bit BTW.
Please help me as I don't want to have to replace this disc again. I have not had this problem doing this to other games, So why this one?
Thank you
Are you being a silly boy and trying to put the crack onto the CD?
Old August 9, 2008, 02:38 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

#1 - try doing the same thing from safe mode
#2 - make sure you are an administrator, right click on the folder where you want to put the crack, and find the security tab, it should allow you to take ownership of the folder and change the read/write permissions.
#3 - give us more details if the above dont work.
Old August 9, 2008, 04:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

What game is it?
Windows won't apply changes to files that are already in use by another program (thats not even a hard rule, damn MS),
could be some copy protection crap in the background blocking you.
I'm just guessing, but I don't put anything past anything I install, it's a never ending battle against bs apps.
Old August 9, 2008, 07:56 PM
Top Prospect

the game is crysis.
And i tried the safe mode and it worked. What is also weird is when I went into safe mode I had a extra login named administrator when I never made it?
But I had to use the admin account for it to work.
Thanx, Now I don't have to keep putting in the disk:)
System spec: Intel i7 2600k, Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock, Kingston DDR3 2X4 GB sticks, ASUS P8P67 PRO, Cooler Master 700 watt PSU, 750GB*2 Sata,SATA III 1TB HDD Acer 24 Widescreen, Antec 300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Old August 10, 2008, 12:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwickbill View Post
the game is crysis.
And i tried the safe mode and it worked. What is also weird is when I went into safe mode I had a extra login named administrator when I never made it?
But I had to use the admin account for it to work.
Thanx, Now I don't have to keep putting in the disk:)
That's because you run XP Home.