Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7, 2008, 04:10 PM
Rookie

Default No Boot, No Post, No Lights, No Fans

Went to start my son's computer, and, as per the title, nothing. No LEDs glowing on the motherboard either. Jumped the PSU by putting a wire in pins 4 & 6. PSU started up no problem. All lights and fans started that do not rely on the 24 pin connector. Took MB out of the case, and hooked up only the Graphics card, and one HDD. No difference, nothing.
Motherboard problem?
NF4 Ultra D
Opty 175
Hiper 580W
WD 250GB HDD
8800GT
OCZ Plat PC4000 2 X 1GBs

Edit

OK. I got another Motherboard, an Infinity NF4 SLI. Same result, except for one detail, the standby LED is on as soon as I turn on the power. Everything else is the same. No fans, lights, nothing. The PSU does not start. It still starts if I jump pins 4&6 manually, and the fans, including the CPU fan, lights etc come on with the PSU. Of course nothing happens, as the 24 pin connector is out so I can jump the PSU start pins. Can it be the PSU? If it was the CPU, Graphics card, or memory, it should start to POST and give me an error into the POST shouldn't it?
Old August 7, 2008, 05:02 PM
Rookie

Did you double check all motherboard connectors?
Old August 7, 2008, 05:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah, did you check that the power connector is secure all the way through ? Now I know this might sound crazy and I'm not judging your abilities, but did you make sure your case's cables are plugged or plugged correctly to your MB (power button, power led, reset button, reset led, etc....) Run a visual inspection on your board for anything burnt, caps, resistors, etc, but I think it's most likely improper cabling. I must confess that I did that too, I was in a rush and the power switch cable was not plugged in the right area or correctly, so end result was same as yours LOL.
Old August 7, 2008, 05:15 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Does the HDD start?

Personally I would of stuck a volt meter to the PSU to make sure shes sending a steady and proper voltage.

If everything starts up but there is no actual boot I would assume it be processor related. If you got any spare power supply you can at least try for a boot I would suggest it.
Old August 7, 2008, 06:10 PM
Rookie

Tried all of above. Please note in my actual 1st post that I have tried 2 motherboards. Also note that it states quite clearly that it does not start at all, nothing, nada. There is only anything happening when I m manually jump the PSU, and then it is not connected to the motherboard. All connections correct. All connections secure. All possible variations tried.
i7 3770K, 4.7GHz at 1.33V, ASROCK Z77 Extreme4, 2X4GB Patriot Viper Black Mamba DDR3 1600, GTX 590, 2 Corsair Force 3 120GB SSDs RAID 0,2 Barracuda 7200.10 500GB, Barracuda 7200.11 1000GB Back Ups, OCZ ZX 1250W, Z-5500s, LG Blu Ray Player/DVD Burner, Windows 7 X64 Pro, HAF X. Vision Quest 24" LCD, Optoma H66 Projector
Cooling: TC PA120.2 GT AP15 in push, DDC 3.25/XSPC Res top, EK Supremacy, XSPC Razor, Coolgate CG-240 Swiftech Helix in push/pull, MCP35X
Old August 7, 2008, 06:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I have had similar issues in the past. I strongly suggest testing another PSU on the system. The PSU may be able to start by manually jumping but that does not mean it's delivering the correct power to the board.

If the test PSU goes south on you then I would think Processor.
Old August 7, 2008, 08:01 PM
Allstar

First of all I would tend to agree that it sounds like a PSU problem. I know you don't have a second computer but if you have a friend that would let you swap PSU's I'd try that. I've also seen ram cause this but not very frequently, so testing that would be something I'd try. And for something far out in left field change powerbars or ever wall socket that your are using. I encountered this on a computer and only managed to figure it out when I took it home to test only to find it started with no problems but wouldn't at her place (although there were issues of random reboot and occasionally not starting, leading me to replace the ram, mobo and PSU since it was a new build.)

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old August 7, 2008, 08:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ok about that green standby led, it's normal, it should be on when you switch your PSU's ON/OFF to ON at the back. Now if I understand correctly your other board's standby led doesn'T even come on nothing - Well you ruled out your PSU. Now can you try swapping PSU - The reason I'm asking is that eventhough you put a jumper and your PSU came on outside your case, if I see your PSU in front of me I can tell right away but your board might not be coming on because of the OK power signal or your PSU is malfunctioning - any bent pins or problems upon visual inspection of the board's connector ?

take a voltage multimeter and measure the 5V & 3.3V from the 24pin connector ? and then post your reading. OR try swapping with another PSU that you plug on this motherboard. If after trying a new PSU or confirming that it's 5V output is functional, and confirming all cables are plugged in right, including the power switch tiny cable to the motherboard, then you have a defective board. I'm a little concerned that no fan activity, no led no nothing, not even HDD - and might be a little suspicious about the 5V OK signal to the board..... I have a hunch that it will turn on with another PSU, give it a try. Even if you had RAM problems, graphic card problems or CPU problems, the board would still turn on (fans, LED, HDD). Is there anything unusual on the board ? Anything burnt ? Is it shorting something in your case ?

Last edited by DarKStar; August 7, 2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old August 8, 2008, 02:35 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
Ok about that green standby led, it's normal, it should be on when you switch your PSU's ON/OFF to ON at the back. Now if I understand correctly your other board's standby led doesn'T even come on nothing - Well you ruled out your PSU. Now can you try swapping PSU - The reason I'm asking is that eventhough you put a jumper and your PSU came on outside your case, if I see your PSU in front of me I can tell right away but your board might not be coming on because of the OK power signal or your PSU is malfunctioning - any bent pins or problems upon visual inspection of the board's connector ?

take a voltage multimeter and measure the 5V & 3.3V from the 24pin connector ? and then post your reading. OR try swapping with another PSU that you plug on this motherboard. If after trying a new PSU or confirming that it's 5V output is functional, and confirming all cables are plugged in right, including the power switch tiny cable to the motherboard, then you have a defective board. I'm a little concerned that no fan activity, no led no nothing, not even HDD - and might be a little suspicious about the 5V OK signal to the board..... I have a hunch that it will turn on with another PSU, give it a try. Even if you had RAM problems, graphic card problems or CPU problems, the board would still turn on (fans, LED, HDD). Is there anything unusual on the board ? Anything burnt ? Is it shorting something in your case ?
Exactly right. Ordered a new PSU last night. Great deal on an OCZ GameXtreme 600W.
i7 3770K, 4.7GHz at 1.33V, ASROCK Z77 Extreme4, 2X4GB Patriot Viper Black Mamba DDR3 1600, GTX 590, 2 Corsair Force 3 120GB SSDs RAID 0,2 Barracuda 7200.10 500GB, Barracuda 7200.11 1000GB Back Ups, OCZ ZX 1250W, Z-5500s, LG Blu Ray Player/DVD Burner, Windows 7 X64 Pro, HAF X. Vision Quest 24" LCD, Optoma H66 Projector
Cooling: TC PA120.2 GT AP15 in push, DDC 3.25/XSPC Res top, EK Supremacy, XSPC Razor, Coolgate CG-240 Swiftech Helix in push/pull, MCP35X