Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7, 2008, 01:44 AM
Top Prospect

Default Okay workspace?

Everythings ready for the build, I've got an anti static wristband, but where do I put the crocodile clip on all of the inside of my case is painted black same (I think) with my PSU. The workspace I'm using is a small painted MDF desk on a short carpeted floor, this going to be okay and any other things I should look out for?
Old August 7, 2008, 05:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just place the crocodile clip on the case. If you want good results try to find a part that's more exposed or thin layered. But honestly, you don't really need the wristband. I've rebuilt my computer over and over again on that kind of carpet in my house and nothing has been shorted or shocked. Just keep touching your case for every single electronic part you touch and you'll be just fine. I personally don't like being strapped on to something. I feel like I have a ball and chain...
Old August 7, 2008, 05:38 AM
Top Prospect

Theres going to be parts where the mobo is out of the case and I'll be installing stuff processor for example, does the clip still need to be attached to the case?
I might have some paint stripper somewhere...
Old August 7, 2008, 05:59 AM
Top Prospect

Just put in optical drive didn't use wristband or touch case just slid it into drive bay out of bag and screwed it in, hopefully its not broken.
Old August 7, 2008, 06:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

An optical drive is fairly well protected and isolated. It shouldn't be burnt out. If you still have your anti-static bag, place your mobo on that and then put your CPU in. You don't want to be grounded, you just want to be at the same potential as the object you're going to be using... if V1=V2, then the potential V1-V2=0. 0V means 0 current.

Your table and your mother board should be of the same potential because the table is of high resistance and shouldn't cause any paths to ground when working on it. Just remember to hold the CPU by the edges. Don't touch any of the metal contact points at the bottom of it. Try and grab the CPU right the first way so that you won't have to rotate it in your hand.
Old August 7, 2008, 07:32 AM
Rookie

Your being way more cautious then you need to be, Ive worked in a local computer store and me and the guy there worked on carpet, we never wore anti static wrist bracelets or any nancy thing like that, I barely even touch the case, I do lean into it but thats it. Its not likely that your going to short something.

Mmm One time I plugged in a molex into a cd-drive when the PS was ON and it arced, almost shit my paints, couldn't believe I made such a mistake (you can believe it won't happen again) but the drive was fine EVEN after that.
PS: Soyo Tech 500W
+ DVD/RW LightScribe Drive
+ Cardreader
Old August 7, 2008, 08:36 AM
MVP

like i have said before i have put a computer together in a lighting storm on a fuzzy rug and nothing happend!
Old August 7, 2008, 12:09 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for that, guess I was worrying too much, it being the first build and all of that. Mobo CPU, RAM AND PSU are all in maybe finished tommorow
Old August 7, 2008, 12:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

Its your first build, don't get cocky now!
Old August 7, 2008, 12:56 PM
Top Prospect

For a first build, I was overly cautious. It makes since to be since if something goes wrong when you're not cautious, it may scare you away from ever doing another build again.