Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 2, 2008, 05:57 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default New PSU and No Joy

Hi,
I just installed a PSU that will support the 3870 x 2 video card with the proper PCIe2 8 pin and 6 pin power connections and now I am stuck using default bios settings and locking up on anything that uses 3d.

Problem 1 :
Vid card ran fine but locked on 2 x 6 pin PCIE, COD4 ran great too. Now its unlocked, default clocks and keeps locking up on 3dmark and cod4, to the point that a hard reboot is required. I have installed latest ati drivers but rolled them back 1 level after nothing changed.

Problem 2 :
The Bios. The Asus Blitz edition like many boards allows change of settings, save and exit then the machine shuts down, reboots and your new settings are applied.
With this PSU it shuts down and when the reboot sequence starts it pulses power for a second and then shuts down, refuses to fire up until I press clear bios reset. This keeps me running only default settings, LAME.
Frustrated.

PSU
ToughPower ATX 12v 2.2 and ESP 12v 2.91 1200w

Mobo
Asus Blitz Edition

Video Card
ATI 3870 x 2
Old August 2, 2008, 03:46 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Fixed problem 1 by removing all ATI software , then reinstalling latest drivers and reinstalling COD4
Old August 2, 2008, 06:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Did you remember to bump up all of the required voltages after the first time it did it? (i.e. ram voltages?)

Other than that... all I can think of is to ensure that your PSU connections are properly inserted.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 7, 2008, 10:25 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Still nothing, it requires a 30 sec shut down before restarting, even with PSU unplugged it feeds power to the board after shut off.
Old August 7, 2008, 11:56 AM
Allstar
F@H

Hmmm, I have a toughpower 850, but its never powered a full system yet.
I have tested it with fans, controllers and lights, and it did NOT like the CCFL’s
or one of my fan controllers. The one thing these two devices had in common
was they both use an internal charge pump power supply (+5 to +15), these can be noisy as they can
draw high frequency current spikes.
I figured the noise triggered the toughpower’s protection circuits and shutdown.
Maybe if the psu was fully loaded it wouldn’t happen, but I fixed it by putting them
on a small external power supply. um, ya, a wall adapter!

anyways, to wrap this up, remove any of that kind of stuff and try it.
Old August 14, 2008, 07:24 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I dont have any Lights or fan controllers attached to the psu. Mobo, water pump, hard drives, fans ,dvd drive nothing out of the ordinary. This build has ran for a year with the 700 PSU. I was able to bump the clock up using AI Suite (Asus Tweak Software)
Old August 14, 2008, 07:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
I dont have any Lights or fan controllers attached to the psu. Mobo, water pump, hard drives, fans ,dvd drive nothing out of the ordinary. This build has ran for a year with the 700 PSU. I was able to bump the clock up using AI Suite (Asus Tweak Software)
Never use software.

Make sure in your bios your voltages are properly setup for your cpu, nb, AND memory.
Old August 18, 2008, 05:48 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

If I could use bios, I would not have made the post :( , at present software is my only option. Asus suggests I remove the motherboard from the case and fire it up on an inslated table....This board worked fine as installed for months with the 700 watt psu, I really dont think I have a grounding issue with the board as installed.
Old August 29, 2008, 02:38 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Solved

Local supplier stepped up to the plate and tossed me a second 1200 watt , it worked great as soon as it was installed. They were going to attempt a return on the product to Thermaltake.
Thanks for your ideas and input folks.