Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2008, 06:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default AMD HeatSpreader @ 65C !

I have 2 Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.8Ghz Windsor (90nm) 2MB L2 (lucky me) using stock HSF - Yes I know about the after market coolers, I will get them eventually. While my CPU temps are very decent idle and under games, there is one value that goes up during heavy workload (3D rendering, video transcoding, etc) which I do a lot of and programs I use work both cores @ 100% ! My CPU diode #1, and #2 cores are at 55C under load, but the CPU value, which is the temperature of the CPU's heatspreader, is at 65 C! That's a little high and I know that AMD takes into consideration the CPU as a whole, so even if the cores are well within specs, the spreader @ 65C is right on the borderline of the thermal specs which is 65C for this CPU if not mistaken - How much can the AMD's own heatspreader (outer CPU shell) take before it gets melted or damaged? I'm NOT talking about the CPU cores, I know the CPU cores are rated for 65C MAX, but the heatspreader, is it safe for me to run 65C for the spreader eventhough my cores are @ 55C ?

Thanks.... Some jobs I do require 2 to 3 hours of heavy load 100% both cores.
Old July 31, 2008, 07:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The heatspreader is made of a metal which withstand far above 65 degrees. But the point is that since the heatspreader is the first "integrated heatsink" for the CPU, it shouldn't go above 65. Not because it will melt (it certainly won't) but because that means the stuff UNDER the metal is too hot.

Honestly, get an aftermarket heatsink. You don't need to put out a lot. Just go and buy an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro or something. They're just $25 and will lower your temps by 10-15 degrees instantly.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old July 31, 2008, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post
The heatspreader is made of a metal which withstand far above 65 degrees. But the point is that since the heatspreader is the first "integrated heatsink" for the CPU, it shouldn't go above 65. Not because it will melt (it certainly won't) but because that means the stuff UNDER the metal is too hot.
You mention stuff UNDER the metal is hot - actually both my cores run @ 55C +/- the heatspreader runs at 65C there is a 10-12C difference between the actual CPU core and the CPU spreader. So I assume I am safe in running @ 65C for the heatspreader and 55C for the cores.

Quote:
Honestly, get an aftermarket heatsink. You don't need to put out a lot. Just go and buy an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro or something. They're just $25 and will lower your temps by 10-15 degrees instantly.
I have some arctic silver 5 and arcticlean 1 & 2 that I purchased from DC, I've never had issues with my stock HSF, this is the first time it happens to me.