Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2008, 11:28 AM
Allstar

Default ram?

What are the symptoms if your ram is undervolted or bad timings or maybe evn both? Mobo is gigabyte x48, ram is HyperX @ 1000MHz
Old July 31, 2008, 11:53 AM
Allstar
F@H

failing memtest, random apps screwing off, blue screens... general system instability. Set the RAM to default timings and see if any of that goes away...What makes you think it's RAM anyways? Sorta a vague question.

Old July 31, 2008, 12:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer-[X] View Post
What are the symptoms if your ram is undervolted or bad timings or maybe evn both? Mobo is gigabyte x48, ram is HyperX @ 1000MHz
Wow, you got so much problems with your system it's not even funny. Are you sure you knew what you bought or what are you doing.

Answer the following:

1. Did you OC the computer ?

If not, your RAM shouldn't be undervolted, unless you have a very weak power supply.

2. What is the full timing and speed of your RAM?

Because if your board supports the following
Support for DDR2 1200/1066/800/667MHz, ECC, non ECC memory modules.

So, if it's really running at 1000mhz and not 1066, this cause an instabitlity.

3. Tell us, what you did since you built your rig. You have too much problems, that I don't even know where to start.

Your problems so far:

Quote:
It cant run any games! I got a brand new bonetrail system, and it cant run a single 'games for windows' disk
YaY
Alll updates, catalyst is the latest. So, thats bizzare, all games freeze up my machine.
Video Issues

Quote:
Thanks for the opinions, unfortunaltey the order had already went in. And thanks for the tip on the cooler. Now how do I overclockmy FSB to 1200?
Wrong OC'ing or really unstable/careless overclock (your Q6600 is running at 1066, you could bump it to 1333FSB without a problem)

Quote:
Finally, your RAM problem. Which is probably due to a component inproperly Overclock and very unstable that destroys the whole system balance.

My suggestion: If you don't know how to overclock it, don't touch it.
CPU Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Memory Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX

Last edited by Chos3n; July 31, 2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old July 31, 2008, 01:48 PM
Allstar

ive never overclocked my system. I was thinking of it, but changed my mind. I never built it, Atic did in Vancouver. The power is a 850 W antic quad. cpu is q6600 stock. So, first time i have ever seen a stock system with decent grade components act weird on me LoL.
Old July 31, 2008, 01:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

Ok, but did they overclocked? If I was you, I would return the rig, or call them and tell them how unstable the thing is. You could do a fresh install of Windows Vista again, or try Windows XP. There might be a drivers issue.
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX
Old July 31, 2008, 02:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Does it pass memtest? Prime 95 run?

I think all of your issues could be attributable to a bad stick of ram. In any case, set your Vram to 2.0V if it is lower than that now. Then test away.
Old July 31, 2008, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
no reason to run your RAM undervolt - when you install your RAM it is run on default JEDEC specs if I'm not mistaken and it's up to you to raise the voltage and timings to match the advertized specs, unless specified otherwise and your board supports the extended profiles.

Don't wait until you have symptoms - you get new RAM, configure it properly according to specs and run it through memtest86 and let it run all the tests - and make sure it passes at least once - You can leave it on multiple passes if you wish for more advanced stress testing and stability over a long period of time.

Instability is the main symptom and might vary depending on where your memory failure is located. You may get windows boot errors / protection errors, blue screen on boot, frequent crashing of applications, kernel32dll errors, blue screens, garbed textures in games and even data corruption on your HDD (crc errors) (you don't want that!)

For testing RAM I use 2 tools. memtest86 and docmem - they run advanced pattern testing - DO NOT rely on your BIOS's quick or normal memory testing, it won't detect all memory problems.
Old August 1, 2008, 11:57 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chos3n View Post
Ok, but did they overclocked? If I was you, I would return the rig, or call them and tell them how unstable the thing is. You could do a fresh install of Windows Vista again, or try Windows XP. There might be a drivers issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Does it pass memtest? Prime 95 run?

I think all of your issues could be attributable to a bad stick of ram. In any case, set your Vram to 2.0V if it is lower than that now. Then test away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
no reason to run your RAM undervolt - when you install your RAM it is run on default JEDEC specs if I'm not mistaken and it's up to you to raise the voltage and timings to match the advertized specs, unless specified otherwise and your board supports the extended profiles.

Don't wait until you have symptoms - you get new RAM, configure it properly according to specs and run it through memtest86 and let it run all the tests - and make sure it passes at least once - You can leave it on multiple passes if you wish for more advanced stress testing and stability over a long period of time.

Instability is the main symptom and might vary depending on where your memory failure is located. You may get windows boot errors / protection errors, blue screen on boot, frequent crashing of applications, kernel32dll errors, blue screens, garbed textures in games and even data corruption on your HDD (crc errors) (you don't want that!)

For testing RAM I use 2 tools. memtest86 and docmem - they run advanced pattern testing - DO NOT rely on your BIOS's quick or normal memory testing, it won't detect all memory problems.

Well, if the mobo supports 1066 ram, and I install 1000, dont you think it wil underclocl to 800? And, if the mobo runs @ 1.8 V for ram, and the sticks are rated for 2.2 V, what would happen when they underclock autimaticallly? Would the mobo change the voltages? coz hyperX @ 800 i beleive is @ 1.8 v, but im sure that my volts right now are 2.2 V @ 800. THis is a brand new mobo with the latest bios flashed. THe problem is that games crash right on start up.
And vista64 was installed numerous times. Same issues, things take forever to write to the drive, sometimes things fail to install, sometimes it blue screens, but when it runs, the games bring the whole system down with it LoL. very strange.
Old August 1, 2008, 12:17 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

But..... did you run a memtest?!?!
Old August 1, 2008, 12:37 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Well, if the mobo supports 1066 ram, and I install 1000, dont you think it wil underclocl to 800? And, if the mobo runs @ 1.8 V for ram, and the sticks are rated for 2.2 V, what would happen when they underclock autimaticallly? Would the mobo change the voltages? coz hyperX @ 800 i beleive is @ 1.8 v, but im sure that my volts right now are 2.2 V @ 800. THis is a brand new mobo with the latest bios flashed. THe problem is that games crash right on start up.
And vista64 was installed numerous times. Same issues, things take forever to write to the drive, sometimes things fail to install, sometimes it blue screens, but when it runs, the games bring the whole system down with it LoL. very strange.
You said you bought somewhere they built it for you, well I would return the computer and telling them it's very unstable. But I agree with Cmetaphor, run a memtest on it (the boot version) and see if it fails or not. Might be a faulty RAM stick.
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX