Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2008, 09:02 AM
Rookie

Default System Freeze

Hey this has happened to me 4 or 5 times past week i would be playing a game on my desktop and randomly i hear a long Beep that wont stop and everything freezes up nothing will work i restart and then its fine for awhile today it happened twice but one of the times there was no beeps it just froze and nothing happens

Any help would be apreciated
Old July 31, 2008, 09:22 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

To help you properly, we need:
System specs?
Are you overclocking?
Version of windows?
.... and any other info. you can give.
Old July 31, 2008, 09:35 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Is it a beep from the sound card or the on board PC Speaker? If it is from the mainboard it is probably a RAM problem but you need to look it up with your mainboard manufacturer. If it is from the sound cards please follow CMetaphor's advice.
Old July 31, 2008, 09:50 AM
Rookie

Windows XP
No OC is done
Amd 2.2 Ghz Dual Core
ASI Motherboard
Ati Radion 9800 Video Card
Old July 31, 2008, 09:54 AM
Rookie

Also Its from a Sound card my on board sound is disabled
Its Just 1 long continuous Beep and everything freezes one of the times where was no beep just a freeze
Old July 31, 2008, 09:55 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Sorry DX, but we might need a bit more than that...
First of all, ASI motherboard? That's not a company I've ever heard of.
Second, issues during games normally involve system stress and/or heat. The next time your system freezes, check (by hand if necessary, but don't burn yourself) the temperature of the processor, RAM, northbridge and video card. the video card especially, since I still have two 9800's and they run pretty hot.
Also, while you're looking in there, check your motherboard for swollen/leaking capacitors. They should look like Flat-topped cylinders (if you dont know what to look for) - if they're bowing outwards of seem to have something leaking out, your motherboard is defective.

Get back to us with more details! hehe
Old July 31, 2008, 03:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

He can also run LAVALYS EVEREST in the background, run the game for a while and before it has a chance to freeze, alt tab or exit and watch the CPU - GPU - MB temps. report your findings. What is your power supply brand/model and rating ? always check on the website for specs on power supply requirement and current consumption - your PSU must provide enough amps to your card - that long beep and freeze sounds to me like a CPU issue, I'd look for an overheating CPU (improper heatsink installation/contact, fan not working, etc) do you have a CPU monitoring option in your BIOS, at what temp do you have it set to ? I'd check 3 things first, your CPU, RAM, PSU, and of course a visual inspection as specified, on the motherboard would do no harm, don't be touching anything on your board, whatever you do DO NOT touch any chips or anything when your MB is powered, check your CAPS as stated above. I have a hunch however that it's CPU overheat.
Old July 31, 2008, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

what kind of power supply do you have? i can see that your system isnt especially power hungry, but if there is a big enough drop in the power supplied to your video card it will have a continuous hi pitched beep and will obviously stop your system since you need it to play games/display windows. something you can do to test that perhaps this is the problem is to pop your side panel off, unplug the video cards molex power cable, turn on your computer and see if you recognize the beep. If you DO recognise the beep, try to get ahold of an alternate power supply, if the second power supply doesnt help it, perhaps the video card is malfunctioning.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0