Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2008, 10:51 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default It's alive, even after I shut down.

Went out to visit the parents last night to look at their computer. When you shutdown in Windows it looks like it's about to shut off but all the fans stay spinning. It's in some kind of stand by even though you tell it to shut down. I promise it's not in Windows standby. The only way to get it to turn off completely is by the power supply switch / power cable. I unplugged every device to see what was going on and it made no difference. So all fans are spinning still - actually louder then they would be when it's on.

DFI Lanparty Ultra-D
A64 3800+
2GB OCZ
PNY Quadro FX 4500
200GB Seagate PATA
Pioneer DVDRW
Antec Smart Power 350
Antec SLK1560B

It's pretty much time for a new computer anyways.. But my father uses it for work so it needs to last a little bit longer.

I'm thinking maybe the power supply is going, but the 200w AT power supply from my discarded p133 wouldn't fit or cut it and that's all I had out there.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I did clear the cmos a couple of times. Still same deal.

Last edited by misterd; July 30, 2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old July 30, 2008, 11:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Leave it on 24/7? No real reason you can't.
Old July 30, 2008, 11:19 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Could be a virus, did you check for that?
Old July 30, 2008, 11:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Could be a virus, did you check for that?
I can't see it being that either, I guess I didn't mention as soon as you flip the power supply switch or plug the cable back in, it goes into this powered mode/not booted mode, until you press the power button. I went so far as to unplugging all the power & reset switches/hd lights/speaker to make sure one of those wasn't stuck or shorting. Lucky for me the motherboard has it's own power & reset buttons onboard.

Keep the ideas coming, I'll take any help i can get. Leaving it on 24/7 is what I told them to do until I can come up with something better.

Old July 30, 2008, 11:44 AM
Allstar
F@H

After plugging in the power supply or switching the PS on, that’s what it should do.
Then pressing the front power switch turns it on (boot). That s what mine does.

I’d check any settings in bios that may be power related, and even the windows power
management functions just in case.
Old July 30, 2008, 12:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Maybe reinstall the mainboard drivers.
Old July 30, 2008, 07:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2 View Post
After plugging in the power supply or switching the PS on, thatís what it should do.
Then pressing the front power switch turns it on (boot). That s what mine does.

Iíd check any settings in bios that may be power related, and even the windows power
management functions just in case.
I've seen that happen but they only spin around once or something. This goes indefinitely until you press the power button. You ever see a non posted computer where the fans go all crazy? It's like that but pressing power button makes it go away. This is also before any OS is loaded so it's not a virus or a driver issue. Anything else? Anyone? :help:

Old July 30, 2008, 11:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This sounds just like the ACPI issues that "OSx86" users have seen with some mobos and kernel extension combinations so I will second Jack Rabbit's reinstall suggestion.
Old July 31, 2008, 05:35 AM
Allstar
F@H

Okay since nobody believes me that this is 100% not software, it still does it with the hard drive & optical drive unplugged.. Only thing left plugged in are the PNY Quadro FX4500, x2 3800+ 2 sticks of OCZ ram, DFI Lanparty motherboard and the power supply. As soon as power is applied to the PSU all fans spin full speed. Pressing the power button on the motherboard or shorting the power switch pins results in the fans spinning down to normal speeds, and the system posts. Does this make sense? Sure as heck doesn't to me.

Old July 31, 2008, 05:54 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

With no hard drive it is not going to be software. Fiddling with software is the no dollar cost starting point.

I can not imagine the video card, RAM, or processor causing this but anything is possible. Re-install all the parts and check the case and cables for shorts or wear. This is a long shot but, again, zero dollar cost.

You already cleared the CMOS so the next step would be to try re-flashing it. Maybe fall back to an older firmware then back to whatever is good and current for you mainboard.

I am not quite sure what you said about the PSU. Are you using that crap 200W? A P133 PSU should not even be compatible with this system. Do you have or can you borrow a PSU tester? If the PSU is gone squirrelly then the next thing to do would be replace it.