Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29, 2008, 11:49 AM
Rookie

Default 8800GTS video (DirectX?) Problems

First of all, here's my rig:
Intel q6600 @ 3.2ghz / 2.3v
BFG 8800GTS 512MB (g92) (I had it up to 750/1050, but right now it's back to default 675/972)
Gygabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Patriot 4GB (2 x 2) 800mhz ram (at ~880 because of the OC)
Enermax Liberty ELT5000AWT 500W PSU
running Windows XP

My problem started about a month ago (Built my computer ~2 month ago.
It's around when I started to OC my computer. But then again I installed alot of stuff everyday and tweaked other stuff too.
I'm somehow positive that my problem is with my GPU, but I'm not sure if it's a software or hardware problem. I don't wanna be
doing a format or a RMA before knowing the source of it, because if i format and I do the same tweak I did again.. Imma get pissed.

The problem itself is that, in games, after I play a little, the screen goes black for a second and then comes back. And after that, the textures start ******* up.
It sometime happens a litte after I start the game, and some other times,
It happens after like an hour. But it sure get worst as I play more and more.
I though it would be my card warming up, but then again, it's running at a good 45 right now and never passes 55-60 under insane stress (crysis?). It also mostly happens in older games (counter-strike, wc3, halo).

I have a simple screenshot from WC3, but it happens in many other games too, but almost all the times, it's the textures ******* up.
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screensh...c1123770a4.jpg
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screensh...5adc1eb9f1.png

Some other stuff that happens, hmm, before it used to affect my explorer too. It would get choppier and choppier as
I used the computer. My screenshots wouldn't work, my windows would like still stay after I minimized, some bigger pictures
wouldn't load in my Irfanview, etc. But as soon as I'd restart, It would get perfect again.. until 3-4 hours later.
That problem kinda went away.. but I still get ingame problems. Another problem I have is, when my GPU fucks up (ingame),
after that, each time I minize/maximize a game (same with a a video or even firefox), my computer entirely freezes for 4-5
seconds. And by freeze I mean not even mouse/keyboard/sound. That too, after the restart gets fixed.

Things that could be causing this:
- Synergy (I have two computers and i use synergy for my mouse/keyboard)
- Xfire in game
- I had the dumb idea of trying dx10, and I got rid of it a with a system restore. It properly shows dx9 now and the dlls look fine?
- Not enough voltage?
- Might sound dumb, I don't really remember exactly when the problem started, but it might be around when I installed Ubuntu?

Things I've done to fix:
- I had beta nVidia drivers, but then I downgraded
- re-installed latest stable drivers, with driver cleaner
- Completly whiped out DX, reinstall dx8.1 from windows cd then reinstalled dx9.0c
- Downclocked GPU to stock

Here is the error I used to get back when It would get really ******, from dxdiag
Code:
No problems found.
To test DirectDraw functionality, click the "Test DirectDraw" button above.
Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 39 (SetDisplayMode to 640x480x16): HRESULT = 0x80004001 (Not implemented)
Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x88760827 (error code)
Direct3D 9 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)
But then It gets fixed after I restart my computer. It's like if it gets worst and worst as it goes on and after I restart, it goes back to normal and slowly gets worst and worst.

tl;dr: shits broke :(
Old August 3, 2008, 03:29 PM
Rookie

Bump :(
Old August 3, 2008, 03:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just a thought. Run RealTemp in the background and see where your temps go (it will show max temps). It seems to be something that happens after you have been playing for a while.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old August 3, 2008, 06:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'd say you overclocked to far and corrupted your Windows install. You couldn't install DX10 in Windows XP no matter how hard you tried so that was never an issue. You could possibly have memory issues as well. Put your entire PC back to stock speeds and see what happens. But it sure sounds like your Windows install is boned.

EDIT: After re-reading your post I would also say you are pushing the memory too far which can and will cause corruption. I highly doubt this is a DXD or video card issue.
Old August 3, 2008, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Definitely not GPU problems.

You have hardware issues elsewhere.
Old August 5, 2008, 08:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Maybe you could try reseating your video card and ram first and see if that works? Otherwise I would back up any data you need to keep, set all your hardware to default speeds like previously mentioned and do a full format and re-install of XP. From there just fully update windows, load your drivers and a few games. Don't tweak or customize anything yet! lol Just sit back with a beer and relax by playing some CS and Halo. If things act up again check out your error logs to see if you can find anything suspicious and do some googling. If nothing turns up there then I guess it's time to start swapping out some hardware.
Old August 6, 2008, 07:54 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

RMA your video card, bad GPU or Memory causing that.