Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 24, 2008, 06:02 PM
Top Prospect

Default Fan speed control

ok I just upgraded my desktop to a new mobo and proc (Asus p5Q pro)
Ever since I put the new mobo in, the fans have been considerably louder than they were before.
I looked in the bios for fan control and could not find anything which confused me somewhat after having my old mobo (p5w DH deluxe) which has an option for fan speed control.

It seems to be mostly my Zalman heatsink fan that's making mose of the noise.

Anyone have any suggestions/know what's going on?
Old July 24, 2008, 09:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The motherboard "should" (and i say it like that because i've never been inside the bios of your motherboard) have an option to change the duty cycle of the fans, that would be your sudo fan control. if the noise is in fact mostly due to your HSF then your only real choices are to mod the heat sink with a quieter fan, or replace it. you can put a voltage limiter on it, or change the duty cycle of the fan, but that would be a bit counter productive for a heat sink fan.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old July 24, 2008, 09:16 PM
Top Prospect

ah ok I shall probe around, but I didn't see anything for fan control...
I'll let you know how it goes
Old July 25, 2008, 06:00 PM
Top Prospect

ok my BIOS does have CPU fan speed control, but it only has three settings (turbo, standard, and silent, which is anything but silent!)
However none of the settings seem to work or change the speed of the CPU fan...
So looks like my only other option is to get different heatsink or a different fan.
Old July 25, 2008, 07:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

please dont be offended, but are you absolutely 110% sure your cpu fan is plugged into the cpu fan port on the mobo? If its not, then it being overly loud would make alot of sense as it would be running at 100% all the time when the cpu fan is usually throttled with load.

vista 64 on these rigs
Old July 25, 2008, 09:15 PM
Top Prospect

none taken... I am sure the fan is plugged in... perhaps not to the right plug?
Old July 25, 2008, 09:24 PM
Top Prospect

just took a look at my mobo and the Zalman was plugged into the cpu_fan. I unplugged it and the sound instantly stopped (so it WAS the CPU fan making all the noise) I tried plugging it into the cha_fan1(chassis fan) port and the speed dramatically reduced(much quieter). Is this going to screw up cooling for my CPU? There is a chassis fan speed control in the BIOS...
Old July 25, 2008, 10:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

well, it'll still cool it but the cpu_fan plug is supposed to scale the fan speed per load on the cpu, it sounds like thats not working on your board, sounds like its stuck on 100% duty cycle. The chasis fan wont scale with the cpu load, so that could compromis your cpu if your overclocking. If your not overclocking, download realtemp, and prime95, use realtemp to monitor your cpu core temperature while running the prime95 stress test to see if your cpu gets too hot while plugged into the chassis fan spot. Typically... i take the temp after about 10 mins of testing, add 10 degrees and that will be your max sustained load temp, so if your temps after 10 mins, plus 10 degrees, add up to less than your cpu's maximum safe temp, then using the chasis fan shouldn't hurt your cpu. BUT the motherboard typically warns you if the cpu_fan's rpm drops below a certain speed, thus saving your cpu from meltdown if your fan bites. you'll probly get a warning beep if you dont have anything plugged in there while using your computer, again, im not familiar with your specific motherboard, yours may not have an audible warning for cpu fan, if it doesnt or you dont have a mobo speaker then i wouldnt worry about that.

what kind of Zalman heatsink do you have? could you replace the fan maby with a Noctua P12 120mm fan? those fans are extreemly quiet, even full out and kick butt in the pushing air dept.

vista 64 on these rigs
Old July 26, 2008, 12:22 AM
Top Prospect

What is the Zalman, I have a CNPS9500 with it's own Fan Mate (control), mines a bit noisy but I can adjust if I want.

Had a quick look at your manual from: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support- and DL E3929. So on pp3.6.6 you set CPU Q-Fan Control to Silent? Just for interest sake on p2.2 there is an image with the Chassis and PWR Fan right next to each other on the board you could try setting the Chassis Fan to "Silent" via BIOS and see if that works. Your HS Fan could be dying, making lot's of noise on it's way out (a bit like old people do.....rofl).
Old July 27, 2008, 01:02 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldeagle View Post
What is the Zalman, I have a CNPS9500 with it's own Fan Mate (control), mines a bit noisy but I can adjust if I want.

Had a quick look at your manual from: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support- and DL E3929. So on pp3.6.6 you set CPU Q-Fan Control to Silent? Just for interest sake on p2.2 there is an image with the Chassis and PWR Fan right next to each other on the board you could try setting the Chassis Fan to "Silent" via BIOS and see if that works. Your HS Fan could be dying, making lot's of noise on it's way out (a bit like old people do.....rofl).
It's a Zalman 9700. I really doubt it's the fan dying. The noise problem only came up after I switched motherboards.

Thanks for taking a look at the manual... Yeah I plugged the fan into the chassis plug and set the chassis to 'silent'.
However that didn't work because now I get a CPU fan error whenever I boot up (even if I disable it in the BIOS)

So what were you saying about a fan replacement/fan mate?