Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 23, 2008, 08:11 AM
Rookie

Default RMA with NCIX or GIGABYTE

so I have a gigabyte ds3r rev 2.1 and yesturday one of the mosfet above the cpu socket popped, if u look at it you can clearly see that it's a little melted, does ncix or gigabyte cover popped mosfets?, the motherboard strangely still works fine, but still the mosfet is still burnt, anyone have experience in this situation?
Old July 23, 2008, 08:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

How long ago did you purchase the motherboard?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 23, 2008, 08:45 AM
Rookie

hmm I think for less then 6 months or maybe a little over 6 months
Old July 23, 2008, 09:01 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

ASUS will RMA when this happens, not sure about Giga. Just give them a call.
Old July 23, 2008, 09:50 AM

yeah, you will have to go through Gigabyte and i am not sure if they will cover this. some companies will say any physical damage is not covered under warranty but i won't say who...

DFI, Sapphire
Old July 23, 2008, 10:37 AM
Rookie

So I have to go through gigabyte and not ncix, even though I'm still covered under ncix?
Old July 23, 2008, 10:40 AM
Allstar

IIRC, NCIX covers the first year on Gigabyte mobos w/ Gigabyte covering the last 2.

I've dealt w/ Gigabyte once in the past on RMAs and, while they took forever (4 months), they were kind enough to build me a custom 7600 GT AGP card :)
Old July 23, 2008, 10:48 AM
Rookie

but will NCIX do a rma if I tell them that one of the mosfet above the cpu socket popped? would they see that was physical damage and not give me a rma
Old July 23, 2008, 11:19 AM

Probably not. I would save the hassle of back and forth with NCIX and go direct to Giga. NCIX is quite picky because they dont want to risk giving you a new board and Giga not replacing the one they send in for RMA.
Old July 23, 2008, 01:18 PM

i was un-aware of that NCIX covered the first year, that is kind of handy. like Zac said though, going directly through Gigabyte will likely provide the best chance for getting an RMA but it might be worth giving NCIX a call and explaining the damage. have links to photos ready if you can and if you talk to someone who doesn't know, just ask to talk with someone that can say either way before you ship the board back.

these are those situations that suck because most manufacturers will say any physical damage is not under warranty...but when the board does this under no fault of the user, how is that not part of warranty? a component failed and there was no screw driver shorting involved, end of story.

worse case scenario, i will offer free repair if just the MOSFET is bad and there was no damage to the board itself. if you have a photo, post it up and i can start hunting for a replacement for you.