Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 23, 2008, 05:47 AM
Allstar

So, I guess the question is ... can this mobo detect a video card ?

Can you try another one to see ?
Old July 23, 2008, 05:48 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

@jdrom17: I suppose there's a possibility. But never in all my years have I seen a system not Post regularly with a discrete card installed, which is why I believe it to be a motherboard issue and Not a videocard one. Still, I'll try a different card when I go back there tonight (again) to try and fix it. Any other ideas? Anyone?
Old July 23, 2008, 05:57 AM
Allstar

in your bios

you shoudl have an option " display unit to promp 1st" intergrated or PCIE

you should try it at pcie

or you can even try to disable the onboard vga

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old July 23, 2008, 06:04 AM
Top Prospect

You could try and reset the CMOS (I assume you have done this!), from the owners manual on p.63 I assume you have tested the PCI Graphics Adapter and switched that to [PCI->PCI-e->IGP];

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...a8n-vm_csm.pdf

You have updated BIOS but what about the motherboard chipset. DL the latest IGP driver (contingency plan) and save it to desktop, then you remove the IGP Driver with something like Drive Cleaner Pro.....or install the latest ATI Driver....remove it (with the IGP Driver) and then reboot and see if the hardware is noticed then.

With the card installed it may be an IRQ Address issue, try installing the drivers (even if not acknowledged) and then reboot, look in device manager and note if card is there.

Would be nice if you had an old PCI-e card you could try in the slot to test it.
Old July 23, 2008, 06:20 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I've tried various combinations of bios settings including switiching the graphics order to pci-pcie-igp and vice versa, no effect. I have already tried uninstalling the IGP driver and restarting with NO video drivers at all, still nothing. And in my experience, even if there is an IRQ problem, windows will still detect new hardware and allow you to install drivers for it, but it will give you an error along the lines of "device could not be started" or "not enough resources to start this device".... i get neither. I did try installing the latest ATI drivers but they won't continue because they "cannot detect any compatible hardware connected to your machine". And I AM going to test it with another PCIe card tonight, unfortunately, it's going to be another 3xxx series card or one of my 8800GTS'. I'l probably bring both just to see....
Old July 23, 2008, 06:26 AM
Allstar
F@H

Well, logically you did all the steps.

-Tested the video card into another system
-Works with integrated video.
-New BIOS version.

I think the problem is with either the video controller or the actual PCI-E slot. I mean you put it in another system and worked like a charm. Do you have a PCI card or take one of your 8800GTS and try it in that system. Also, you could try flash the video card itself... but that would pointless if it working in any other computers.
CPU Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Memory Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX
Old July 23, 2008, 07:39 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Update:
- Tested with my Strider 1Kw Power supply - No change
- Tested with my Strider AND one of my 8800GTS' - No change
- Tested with HIS 3450 (Passive) - No change

..... I'm thinking Dead Dead ing dead PCIe x16 slot. If more than two other people agree I'm throwing the damn thing in the garbage and spitting on it before I buy a new one. Sigh.
Old July 23, 2008, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'm guessing your are running a 939 socket processor.

Cause if you had an AM2 CPU NCIX has the ASUS M3A78-EM AMD 780G mATX AM2+ on for $89.99
If you prefer NVIDIA they have the
ASUS M3N78-VM SLI mATX AM2+ Nforce 750A on for $85.99

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old July 23, 2008, 08:27 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

My, my, my... I just saw this thread.

A friend of mine calls me a couple months' back - he want a video card added to his A8N-VM board, installed in an Acer box. Said "No Problem! Easy as cake". Well, no. I worked 3 weeks night-time on that sucker, and I never managed to have a video card fully functionnal. I have tried nVidia cards (both PCI and PCI-e), ATi cards (same), even an old Matrix PCI card... used Driver Cleaner extensively, changed the BIOS setting too, updated the BIOS... nothing. Contacted Asus, and nothing happened out of that. I managed to have a video feed in Safe Mode, but that was it. It's like the PCI-e lane does not exist passed the BIOS.

What I did next? Nothing. I gave up. The First time ever. I built him a rig for $600. He's still very happy. And he has a functionnal video card.
Old July 23, 2008, 08:38 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Lol, sorry to hear it Charlie, but i know your pain. I'll consider that as one vote to toss the board and Never buy another one like it (with the same chipset, 6150). Was thinking a Biostar board with a Via 890 chipset instead.