Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 18, 2008, 11:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Does AMD use different heatsinks across batches ?

I've purchased 2 x Athlon 64 x2 5600+ Windsor F3 / 2.8Ghz 2MB L2 (yeah lucky me - I managed to still get those while supplies last as they are being phased out!)

Anyways, I received both processor boxes and noticed something odd - I've never experienced this before - One of the boxes had the traditional AMD HSF, however the top fan part was slightly loose you couldl lift it very slightly, it was a bit loose - Noticed the 4 screw holes were VERY deep could not see any screws in it - Of course the fan did NOT come off when I pulled on it, but I could not see what is holding it in place.

On to the other box, noticed that the fan was screwed on tight and noticed all 4 of them in the holes, however, the black lock handle on one side was very small compared to the ones used normally on AMD HSF. Should I be concerned ? Does AMD use different heatsink revisions across batches ? Yes both heatsinks have their interface material - THey do not appear to have been used, at least I hope not.

The CPUs on the other hand, while they don't appear to have been used, both had a finger print on them and a few specs of dust. Both boxes were sealed and did not appear to be opened before.

Now how can THAT happen in a dust free environment they work in ? What about the finger prints and dust ? What about the fan base being loose, this one I cannot remove the fan it does not have any screws!

Yes both HSF use the clips on the side, although one has an area where you can push with a flat screwdriver and the other doesn't.

Anybody experience this before ? Should I return the CPUs ?
Old July 18, 2008, 11:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Where did yu get the cpus from and are they OEM??
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old July 19, 2008, 12:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashock View Post
Where did yu get the cpus from and are they OEM??
DirectCanada.

And NOT OEM sine I mentioned heatsinks - the PIB version come with heatsinks, usually of ALL the AMDs I have installed and used the fan ontop of the heatsink has 4 screws holding it tight, and on the heatsink there is a large black lever to lock it in place. On the 2nd box I received, the black lever is smaller, probably no big deal , and the fan is held by screws - The other one has 4 empty holes but something is still holding the fan, although slightly loose and as I mentioned, both boxes were sealed - I inspected the authenticity stickers, and the processor code itself on the CPU, serials match and the product code matches too.
Old July 19, 2008, 01:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
I've purchased 2 x Athlon 64 x2 5600+ Windsor F3 / 2.8Ghz 2MB L2 (yeah lucky me - I managed to still get those while supplies last as they are being phased out!)

Anyways, I received both processor boxes and noticed something odd - I've never experienced this before - One of the boxes had the traditional AMD HSF, however the top fan part was slightly loose you couldl lift it very slightly, it was a bit loose - Noticed the 4 screw holes were VERY deep could not see any screws in it - Of course the fan did NOT come off when I pulled on it, but I could not see what is holding it in place.

On to the other box, noticed that the fan was screwed on tight and noticed all 4 of them in the holes, however, the black lock handle on one side was very small compared to the ones used normally on AMD HSF. Should I be concerned ? Does AMD use different heatsink revisions across batches ? Yes both heatsinks have their interface material - THey do not appear to have been used, at least I hope not.

The CPUs on the other hand, while they don't appear to have been used, both had a finger print on them and a few specs of dust. Both boxes were sealed and did not appear to be opened before.

Now how can THAT happen in a dust free environment they work in ? What about the finger prints and dust ? What about the fan base being loose, this one I cannot remove the fan it does not have any screws!

Yes both HSF use the clips on the side, although one has an area where you can push with a flat screwdriver and the other doesn't.

Anybody experience this before ? Should I return the CPUs ?
If you're gonna put an aftermarket HS/F on it...i wouldn't worry about it. If you plan to use the stock HS/F, then you could return it/them. Just keep in mind that, as you said, stock on these older CPU's is dwindling...and they may not have one to replace it/them. If this happens, you might end up waiting a long time til they get some in,etc.

GL
Old July 19, 2008, 01:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Provided the heatsinks functions and cools the cpu as specified I don't see any cause for concern here as for the heatsinks I believe they very in design and what is currently available to the batch that is being produced.

I am also going out on a limb here and saying that the manufacturers are constantly looking to reduce cost and not including the 4 screws and making a smaller heatsink clip is just one of the many ways to do it. We live in world where every penny counts and not including screws or reducing the size of one part can save millions over the long run.

EE
Old July 19, 2008, 01:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

So what is holding the fan in place then if there are no screws ?

My other processor had 4 screws in the holes, they were holding the CPU, the other processor's fan had 4 empty holes, but what was holding it ? As to returning it, probably not - I will give it a try in worst cases I will get an aftermarket HSF and use arctic silver 5 which I already have.
Old July 19, 2008, 02:01 AM
MVP
F@H

Well take a picture of the two next to each other, see if we can figure it out.

WC Loop: D-Tek Fuzion V2 // Danger Den Maze 5 // Swiftech MCP655 // Swiftech MicroRes // Thermochill PA 120.2 + 4 x Noctua NF-P12
Old July 19, 2008, 10:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibs View Post
Well take a picture of the two next to each other, see if we can figure it out.
LOL

I don't have my digital camera with me - lent it to someone.

I will try using my flatbed scanner

be back in a moment
Old July 19, 2008, 11:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ok - here are some pictures to better explain - As you can see below, the top portion of the picture represents the bottom of the heatsink and the thermal material on both heatsinks - The bottom portion represents the side with the locking mechanism (black lever).

Let's start with the top part - Notice that the interface material has a bigger coverage to the left, and to the right it seems the area is smaller. Now both have the SAME part number, the boxes look identical - Now it's obvious that the transfer material on one of those won't fully cover the processor, now someone DID mention AMD cutting corners - well guess LITTERALY Anyways, that said I am not much concerned about this part (although if someone is, please let me know)

Now the bottom - As you can see the top portion of the heatsink to the left is beveled and the black lever is big (this is usually the ones I see when installing processors). The one to the right (first time seeing this one) has a smaller lever, and the shape is slightly different (different numbers as well)

Now back to the one on the left - The 4 retaining screws on the fan (top part) are not there, the holes are deep and I cannot find anything in there - It is held in place by something under it, cannot remove it - it is slightly loose, I mean if you lift by the fan slightly, you will notice it moving just a bit - whereas the one on the right is tight and is retained by the 4 screws, and yes both fans have an AMD sticker on them.
Attached Images

Old July 19, 2008, 11:34 AM
MVP
F@H

Haha good job being resourceful and using a scanner when you have no camera! It's probably just a fluke that you got the two with the different mechanism. AMD must have just decided to change it slightly, obviously in a way to cut costs (look at the amount of TIM.) You just happened to get two during the transititon.

WC Loop: D-Tek Fuzion V2 // Danger Den Maze 5 // Swiftech MCP655 // Swiftech MicroRes // Thermochill PA 120.2 + 4 x Noctua NF-P12