Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2008, 07:03 PM
Banned

Default transfering raid setups?

hi, i got a nforce 4 mobo right now, using nvidia raid controller, i have a raid 0 set up. im wondering if i were to upgrade to a 680i mobo, still using nvidia raid controller, would i be able to transfer the raid setups? thanks
Old July 15, 2008, 07:19 PM
MVP

Well, if you're running a RAID 0 setup, you should have everything backed up anyway, so you can just restore the backups onto your new setup. ;)

Sorry, can't help much with the actual question though.
Old July 15, 2008, 07:38 PM
Top Prospect

Coarsely an OS becomes tied to a motherboard, due to factors like chipset drivers etc and if you change the motherboard you may have to do a complete reinstall. BUT if you are changing over to a new motherboard and you follow a guide like this, with the new motherboard Chipset Drivers on hand it can be achieved:

How To Change Your Motherboard - OverclockersClub Forums

Otherwise it wont matter whether it is RAID or just a normal DATA HDD if you don't follow a guide like this you generally have to do a complete reformat and re-install unless certain parameters are true:

1. It is exactly the same make and model of motherboard, and or
2. It has the same "Chipset"

I personally like the "rebuilding" of the OS method used by Fred Langa, not sure if this works for Vista I'm afraid;

Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option -- Windows XP Management

Read it twice so you understand the method properly.

As pointed out by Mars please back up any and all crucial data and hopefully that should work for you.
Old July 16, 2008, 02:48 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

My guess is that the new mainboard will not recognise the RAID on the old board. Those fake-RAID chipsets tend to be all over the place. There is no harm in trying, though, if you have good backups.
Old July 16, 2008, 10:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I can't say that will be the case given both boards are nVidia and use nForce fraid controllers. I migrated my fraid setup from my 570SLI board to a 590SLI with no problems at all the fraid setup was immediately recognized and within minutes was booting into WindowsXP. It was simply a matter of updating the chipset drivers to correct any differences between the 2 setups and motherboard that I was using. Always err on the side caution and backup whats important and just give it try I think you will know pretty quickly whether or not you will need to rebuild your fraid array.