Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14, 2008, 09:41 PM
Banned

Default no signal after installing new vid card

After I installed a 8800gt,there is no signal to the monitor.so I installed my old vic card,7900gto back in. Still no signal ,what is going on???? Helppppp!! Thx
Old July 14, 2008, 10:02 PM
Banned

Did you power cycle the monitor before turning on your machine after a card swap?

Make sure the DVI or VGA connection is secure and evenly connected. Make sure the card inside the machine is seated properly with the proper power connectors attached from the PSU.
Old July 15, 2008, 06:25 AM
MVP
F@H

Does your monitor have two input sources? You may have just mixed up the cables when disconnecting the old card and not noticed.

WC Loop: D-Tek Fuzion V2 // Danger Den Maze 5 // Swiftech MCP655 // Swiftech MicroRes // Thermochill PA 120.2 + 4 x Noctua NF-P12
Old July 15, 2008, 07:56 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Full system specs, please.
Old July 15, 2008, 08:09 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

If you have a system with integrated graphics you sometimes have to return to windows using the integrated graphics (after installing the new card, in this case an 8800GT). Once in Windows, install the drivers for your video card then restart your machine. While still using the integrated graphics, return to Windows a second time and go into the windows displays manager. If done right you should see up to 3 monitors that can be enabled. Try enabling the second monitor and quickly switch your vga/dvi cable to your 8800gt (primary output). If you get signal and then the extended windows desktop you're Almost there. Switch the vga/dvi cable back to your integrated graphics then choose (when selecting the second monitor, the one that output to your 8800GT) "Use this device as my primary monitor". Click ok and quickly switch the cable back to your 8800GT and press "Yes" to keep the display settings change. Now you should be able to disable the other monitor you enabled in windows and continue without a hitch. (This proceedure has worked many times on older systems with integrated graphics as well as Dell/HP machines that use integrated graphics). Hope it helps! Let us know!!!
Old July 15, 2008, 09:47 AM
MVP

My System Specs

dude like 3.0charlie said u need to give full system specs your motherbaord may not support the card as it is pci-e 2.0
Old July 15, 2008, 10:36 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaverclan View Post
your motherbaord may not support the card as it is pci-e 2.0
Sorry, but no. PCIe is backwards compatible with original PCI-e. In fact a PCIe 2.0 card and work (electrically) at PCIe 1.0 1x, so long as has a full 16x sized-slot physically.
Old July 15, 2008, 11:49 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Sorry, but no. PCIe is backwards compatible with original PCI-e. In fact a PCIe 2.0 card and work (electrically) at PCIe 1.0 1x, so long as has a full 16x sized-slot physically.
oh didn't know that thanks for the info, my old asrock vista 4 core mobo wouldn't run it, that was because it was a 4x slot and not a 16x? and not becasue it was pci-e 2.0 cause xfx said that if i flashed it, i could make it say it was a 1.0 card and it wold work(i didint as it was better to get this mobo DS3L). anyway thanks agin for the info, hope he replies with his specs
Old July 15, 2008, 12:00 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Check out this article from Tomshardware on the subject:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ysis,1572.html
They tape off part then most of the pins to effectively reduce an eletrical pcie x16 to a pcie x1.... check it out to see the difference (not much surprisingly, except at x1)
Old July 15, 2008, 08:02 PM
Banned

well, im the biggest moron on earth. my monitor was at VGA mode because i was palying with my xbox360.